MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: Hull design (FishingPro)

5 Nov 2021   [#1]
FISHING PRO 11.30mX4mX4m (draft 1m), build in wood.
Fishing Pro is a leisure boat inspired from fishing boats.
She has a large wheelhouse and a roomy front cabin.
Diesel engin is located below the wheel house.

The rounded hull shell makes difficult to create study plans.
But using few curves with minimum control points it becomes easy in MoI3D.
First, a symbolic surface is obtained using Loft" + "Loose" function and joining HULL Curves.
The lofted surface need some modifications to make frames coherent and nicely curved.
Remember, images are symbolic. They dont correspond to final construction plans.
Pictures below show development steps of the plans.

Image Attachments:
FishingPro.10.jpg  FishingPro.11.jpg  FishingPro.12.jpg  FishingPro.14.jpg  FishingPro.15.jpg  FishingPro.2.jpg  FishingPro.3.jpg  FishingPro.4.jpg  FishingPro.5.jpg  FishingPro.6.jpg  FishingPro.7.jpg  FishingPro.8.jpg  FishingPro.9.jpg 

5 Nov 2021   [#2] In reply to [#1]
Hello congratulations on your hulls, from what I see you use these lofts of longitudinal lines, but so it becomes complex to predict what the hull can be because I notice that the curve generated has a tension that moves away from the construction lines,

In fact, I find it difficult to use a few curves and I often have to create many sections to avoid this inconvenience with which I encountered this complication, I tried various techniques, but still today I find some critical points and it is difficult to obtain the continuity of the surfaces with simple loft or sweep rails.

However, you have found an effective and quick way to make new hulls.

I, on the other hand, must always use stations and profiles, having to work on CAD drawings, where the shapes are binding.

Image Attachments:
station-loft.jpg  Tender-contruction.jpg 

5 Nov 2021   [#3]
Very cool results!
5 Nov 2021   [#4] In reply to [#3]
Thanks Pilou.
5 Nov 2021   [#5] In reply to [#2]
Hello Pafurijaz,
Your's are also very nice looking boat shapes.
And, you are right about surfaces -when lofted- going away from "frames" or "stations".
My technic consist simply to use the software as "pencil and paper". This is old but it works fine.
The advantage is, one can erase and rebuild many times without spending money for paper.
I am thinking to create a tutorial showing step by step on how to progress in hull design using this old technic.
6 Nov 2021   [#6] In reply to [#5]
Great news about the tutorial this can be very useful for many users.