MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: Dark Neutral Grey UI Complete with Instructions

Show messages:  1-20  21-40  41-54

1 Oct 2021   [#1]
Get your hands-off installer here instead:

http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=10509.1

or do it all manually as per below...

Download the attached "user-appdata-roaming-moi.rar" file first (at the bottom of this message), it also has the
text files for the setup instructions in it, but here they are:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
THIS IS FOR INSTALLING ON A WINDOWS COMPUTER, I AM RUNNING WIN10...

It assumes that you have a default installation on the C: drive.

This UI works both in version3 and version 4 of Moi

If you don't have WinRar, get a copy at: https://www.rarlab.com/download.htm , select
"WinRAR x86 (32 bit) 6.02" and install it.
This is the very best archiver out there, I suggest you buy yourself a copy (it's only 29
bucks for lifetime updates), or run the trial only if you don't want to.

MAKE SURE YOU HAVE ADMINISTRATOR RIGHTS ON YOUR WINDOWS
INSTALLATION. IF NOT, SIGN IN AS A USER WHO DOES.

Don't forget to read the "Death UI Modding.txt" file, it contains info on how to use the Object Library
Script and Extras Folders and more customization hints.

NOW TO INSTALLING:
------------------------------

A) COPY YOUR ORIGINAL MOI DIRECTORY
-----------------------------------------------------------

1. Go to your "C:\users\YOUR WINDOWS USERNAME HERE\AppData\" directory.

2. Right-click on the Moi directory, but don't enter it.

3. Select "copy" from the popup menu

4. Right click anywhere in the AppData listing

5. Select "Paste" from the pop-up directory. You have now created a back-up of your
original Moi directory. (In case a mistake happens, you can always restore the original)

6. Check that this is the case, there should be a "Moi - Copy" directory right under your
original Moi directory) If not, try the above
steps again.

B) DELETE CONTENTS OF MOI DIRECTORY, PAY ATTENTION TO DETAILS BELOW:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Click the Moi directory (a subfolder of the AppData directory)

2. Pres CTRL-A (that's the "control" key and the "A" key pressed together). This
should highlight all entries in the Moi directory.

3. Deselect your license key(s) by "Control"-clicking (pressing the "Ctrl" key and click).

Your license key looks like "moi_v4_license.key" for example. You might have more
than one license key, one per version you own; if so, Ctrl-click these too. Now
everything BUT your license key files should be selected, press the del (delete) key
and all the files in the directory should be deleted, all but the license key(s).

C) UNRAR THE UI
-------------------------

1. Copy the "Death UI.rar" file to the "C:\users\YOUR WINDOWS USERNAME
HERE\AppData\moi" directory. You should see it and the license files, nothing more.

2. Right click the Death UI.rar file and select "Extract Here" from the pop-up menu.
This extracts your updated Moi directory with everything need.

3. Delete the "Death UI.rar" file, it is not need anymore and just takes up the space here.

4. Edit the moi.ini file. You need to change the entry under "[Commands]" to point to your path. Change the
"AdditionalCommandsDirs=C:\Users\Jack\AppData\Roaming\MoI\extras"
to:
"AdditionalCommandsDirs=C:\Users\YOUR WINDOWS USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\MoI\extras"

This will enable the EXTRAS scripts within Moi for you.

5.) copy the "Reverse.png" image from the new "C:\Users\YOUR WINDOWS USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\MoI\ui"
to the:
"C:\Program Files\Moi 4.0\ui" directory

D) Copy the CSS file into the Moi App directory
------------------------------------------------------------

Among the new directories extracted is the "ui" directory. Enter it and right-click the "moi.css" file, and select Copy from the drop down menu. Now go to the C:\Program Files\moi 4.0" directory, right-click in it and select Paste from the drop-down menu, overwriting the moi.css file there. (you might want to first make a backup copy of it in case you want to revert some day).

Well, you're done... (Sort of, read the "Necessary Changes" and the "Death UI Modding" text file next, to make it all your very own.)

E) NECESSARY CHANGES:
--------------------------------------

1. Start Moi, don't worry about the look/size of items, we change that now. Click the
"Options" button (lower right bottom of your screen) and the Options panel will pop up.
Click the "Restore Defaults" Button on the Options Panel.

2. Set the Units system to: "No unit system" from the drop down. You can later make this anything you prefer.

3. Scroll the UI slider to 9.5

4. Click the View Tab.
Click the Background color patch, the windows color selector will pop up, type 48,48,48
into the RED, Green and Blue fields. Click the "Locked Objects use alternate color"
checkbox to set it, if it isn't checked already. Click the color patch next to it and enter
120,120,120 for Red, Green and Blue then click the OK button.

5. Click the Grid Tab.
Set the Grid size to: 1
Set the Snap size to: 1
Set the X axis color to: 80, 120,80 for Red, Green and Blue
Set the Y axis color to: 150,80,80 for Red, Green and Blue.
Set the Z axis color to: 181,186,191 for Red, Green and Blue.
Set the grid Lines Color to: 64,64,64 for Red Green and Blue.
Set the Accented grid lines Color to: 72,72,72 for Red, Green and Blue.

6. Click the Dimensions Tab. Under Formatting:
Set the Distance display to: Decimal.
Set the Fractional display to: 1.0000

7. Click the Close Button of the Options panel, you're done...

You now have custom Neutral Gray Dark UI, 399 commands in the commands
section, 247 commands in the extras section and a Greeble, Kitbash, Objects and
RPG library, permanently open command panels in Moi (no more tab clicking
before you get to an operation) and a reverse button for flipping views to their opposite
in every view window but the 3D view.

Enjoy!

MANY THANKS TO ALL THE GREAT MOI'ERS WHO HAVE WRITTEN THE
COMMANDS, UI ADDS AND TO MICHAEL FOR PUTTING ME ON THE RIGHT
TRACK SO MANY TIMES.

PS: To change the look of the 3D objects in Moi, just click the Extras button on the bottom
toolbar and the last entries there starting with a "-" are all the different display types you
can select. One click will do. There are 14 of them and the default.
Select "-LightDEFAULT" there to reset to Moi's original display style...

New Update Oct. 24th, 2021:
---------------------------------------------

1) Saves preview images with each .3dm file, so you can see what the models look like in explorer. Automatically does that for save/save as/export.

2) Now has the alignment button rearranged so they are more in sync with their action, i.e. Align Vert center/Horiz center, top/bottom/, left/right button are now next to each other.

3) Circe and Arc now include tangents in the options panel.

4) Shortcut keys: Shift-V now saves the current 3d View, V restores it, ALT-V deletes all saved Views. (anytime you hit SHIFT-V it saves the current 3d view and hitting V cycles through them, very useful...

5) Dimensions Panel now open by default, instead of SubD.

Also included in now updated Death UI.rar...
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

New Update Oct. 27th, 2021:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Added Shortcut Keys text file explaining the shortcuts.
Also included in now updated Death UI.rar
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Attachments:
Death UI.rar

Image Attachments:
Pic4.jpg 

3 Oct 2021   [#2] In reply to [#1]
OP == MVP of the Universe; this is pure gold, it's appreciated!!!!
3 Oct 2021   [#3]
One question, I'm not seeing the deathUI.rar file nor .css file, what did I miss?

https://imgur.com/E5HCOnl
3 Oct 2021   [#4] In reply to [#3]
Thanks.

Sorry, I renamed it, it's all good now....

It's at the bottom of the message, below the pics.

The CSS is in the ui directoy after the unrar. See step D.
4 Oct 2021   [#5]
Thanks for the nice theme - i really like it.

But i'm missing the reverse button in the viewports and all scripts in the extra folder are not found. Everything else works like charme.
4 Oct 2021   [#6] In reply to [#5]
Hi binfordboy,

Your problem with Extra directory is a parameter to modify in the moi.ini file in the Commands section.
Set with your own windows user_login to fix the problem

[Commands]
AdditionalCommandsDirs=C:\Users\***USER_LOGIN***\AppData\Roaming\MoI\extras
4 Oct 2021   [#7] In reply to [#6]
Thank you, that fixed it.
4 Oct 2021   [#8] In reply to [#7]
Read Step 4 and 5 under section C (UNRAR THE UI) above, they are new and fix the issues.

I also update the download file to include the extra instructions, so everything is up to date, you might want to re-download the "Death UI.rar" again to have the latest version; in case you ever want to modd your UI from scratch again. That way the instructions included are also corrected.
4 Oct 2021   [#9] In reply to [#8]
Death,

Very nice job !

Thanks a lot.
4 Oct 2021   [#10] In reply to [#9]
You're welcome, just trying to give back to the wonderful people here!
13 Oct 2021   [#11]
ohayo !
how did u manage to have several folders with kitbash ?
13 Oct 2021   [#12] In reply to [#11]
Read the "Death UI Modding.txt" file, it's all explained in there (step by step on how to do your own library folders)

It is included in the "Death UI.rar" you can download at the bottom of the first post.

Have fun!
23 Oct 2021   [#13] In reply to [#12]
Hi. when for Mac?
23 Oct 2021   [#14] In reply to [#13]
Hi mercar,

re:
> Hi. when for Mac?

It should probably work on the Mac version. The appdata folder on Mac is at ~/Library/Application Support/Moi .

- Michael
25 Oct 2021   [#15]
Thanks for this :)
27 Oct 2021   [#16]
Shortcut Keys descriptions for those who don't want to download the .RAR file again...

View Keys
=========

Home: Resets 3D view to normal view (like the reset button)

Shift+Home: Resets the 3D view to normal, including the orientation

Alt+Home: Isometric 3D View

Ctrl+Home: Perspective 3D View (to get back from Isometric to normal view)

Numpad+: Zoom in 3D View

Numpad-: Zoom out 3D View

Space: Toggles betwen views. I.e.: If mouse is in top view space switches to 1 view only (the top), hit space again, it goes back to split view. works on all views that way. Convenient way to select a "big screen work view" then back to normal.

End: Toggles hidden line display.

V: Switches between saved 3D views

Shift+V: Save snapshot of current 3D view

Alt+V: Clear ALL the saved views

(Extremely useful! Press shift V to save the 3D view, go to other side of model, save that view, now you have 2 work views to toggle between every time you hit V.
You are not limited to 2 views either. Save 1, save 10 or whatever.)

Arrow and Page keys:
================

LeftArrow: Nudge Left

Ctrl+LeftArrow: Nudge Left Small increment

Alt+LeftArrow: Nudge Left Large increment

RightArrow: Nudge Right

Ctrl+RightArrow: Nudge Right Small

Alt+RightArrow: Nudge Right Large

UpArrow: Nudge Up

Ctrl+UpArrow: Nudge Up Small

Alt+UpArrow: Nudge Up Large

DownArrow: Nudge Down

Ctrl+DownArrow: Nudge Down Small

Alt+DownArrow: Nudge Down Large

PageDown: Nudge ZDown

Ctrl+PageDown: Nudge ZDown Small

Alt+PageDown: Nudge ZDown Large

PageUp: Nudge ZUp

Ctrl+PageUp: Nudge ZUp Small

Alt+PageUp: Nudge ZUp Large

Other Keys
=========

Delete: Delete

A: Align

N: Highlight naked edges

S: Cycle selected by their type. (Select an edge, face, object, curve etc., then pressing S cycles to the next one of the selected kind)

Alt+Q: Screen capture 1280 x 800 to clipboard, with white background

Ctrl+Q: Screen capture1280 x 800 to clipboard, normal viewport

The Usual:
========
F1: Help

Ctrl+N: New

Ctrl+O: Open

Ctrl+S: Save

Ctrl+A: Select ALL

Ctrl+C: CopyClipboard

Ctrl+V: Paste

Ctrl+Shift+C: CopyClipboardWithOrigin

Ctrl+Shift+V: PastePart and orient Origin

Ctrl+X: Cut

Ctrl+Y: Redo

Ctrl+Z: Undo
6 Nov 2021   [#17] In reply to [#16]
Hi Jack, thanks so much for putting all of this together, it's super useful and has saved me tons of time!

Just wondered if a small niggle I'm experiencing with the theme is to be expected or not...

The command panels (Draw/Edit, Construct/Transform) are all open at once, which is fantastic and exactly what I am after, which looks just like this:

When I choose a command though, all panels except the one containing the selected command collapse, and I have to re-open the panels again.

E.g. If I create a primitive by clicking Box within Draw/Edit, this happens:

And when nothing is selected after the command has completed, the panels remain closed, needing to be manually re-opened (Draw/Edit collapsed):

Is there anything I can do to keep those panels open at all times, or at least to expand when I don't already have an active tool selection?

For bonus points, is it also possible to collapse the void at the top of the panel when the information/inspector panel isn't present, like this?:

Also, I had a thought when doing the install of your excellent ui; would an installation helper be of any use? A batch or exe file which could perform the various backups and drop the files into their relevant locations without needing further user input?

Seems like a weakness of how modifications work in general and might bring things like your UI to more people?

Anyways, thanks so much in advance!

Image Attachments:
bonus.png  created.png  initially.png  toolSelected.png 

6 Nov 2021   [#18]
Option / General / UI Size is the parameter you searched.

with 9.5 or less, you'll have no problem.

Image Attachments:
2021-11-06_19h54_30.png 

6 Nov 2021   [#19] In reply to [#17]
Like Phiro said.

That is also in the instructions...

Under NECESSARY CHANGES:

3. Scroll the UI slider to 9.5

Anyway, they collapse because your screen space is limited and new panel areas opening claim it.

Making an installer was on my mind,but then I thought about all the stuff that can happen if the user doesn't have administrator privileges. The clean up of the mess would be more work than doing it as is.

If I closed the top gap (used by filename, entry panels etc.) the the ui would jump about every time you use a command with input and the vertical position of the commands would change all the time, not nice behavior.

(BTW, the dimensions panel and its options is also always open. You might want to download the .rar file again and extract the SidePane.htm file and replace the one in your c:\user\YOURUSERNAME\appdata\roaming\moi\ui directory.)

I'll do some research on installers and if it pans out automate the whole process...
6 Nov 2021   [#20] In reply to [#19]
There will be a new UI theming mechanism for v5. The way it works is there is a new "themes" folder inside the Moi appdata folder. Themes are created as a sub-directory under there.

A theme contains a defines.inc text file which sets up symbol definitions for things like:
TEXT_COLOR #ABFF5D

The UI has been updated to use those symbols, like moi.css will have color:$$TEXT_COLOR$$; in it.

When moi.css or any .htm file is loaded it will be scanned for $$symbols$$ and have the value from the theme's defines.inc expanded in place of the symbol.

The theme folder can also have its own moi.css file which will get appended to the end of the regular moi.css file when the theme is active, and any images in the themes folder will be used in place of the standard image.

There will be 2 themes built in to the standard install, "Default" (similar to the current standard UI) and "Dark".

There will be a theme manager UI where you can make a new theme (which will create a new theme folder in appdata) and adjust color values:

- Michael

Image Attachments:
v5_themes.png 

Show messages:  1-20  21-40  41-54