MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: Resize lofted object

Show messages: All  1-7  8-19

8 Aug 2021   [#8] In reply to [#6]
>> What is the advantage of these big planes?

>It makes for more uniform behavior with generating planar end caps. With curved outlines an underlying plane surface that hugged directly to the trim edges would have a couple of places where the edges touched the edge of the natural underlying surface at a "grazing tangent" point which isn't necessarily outright terrible but it makes for some more work to be done in some kinds of intersection processing.

Ok, understood. Perhaps a heuristic could be used that only creates the big planes in cases where they are needed? The consequences of having them are a little hard to grasp, particularly for newcomers, questioning oneself why certain operations have no effect.

>If you like you can select your cuboid objects, then type Tab and type in ShrinkTrimmedSrf and push Enter. That "ShrinkTrimmedSrf" command will shrink down those wider planes.

That is a good shortcut to get the object into the shape I want - now show points works! Like with manually replacing the faces with "close fit" faces it removes the link to the construction rectangles - but that's ok.

Thanks, great support, as usual!
8 Aug 2021   [#9] In reply to [#7]
Wow!

Didn't know that, so useful!
9 Aug 2021   [#10] In reply to [#8]
Here is a faux Cage edit method, for those that want to point push.

This is a simplistic 2d - 1 axis limited at a time - method...

10 Aug 2021   [#11] In reply to [#10]
Thanks, might come handy!
10 Aug 2021   [#12]
Yep !
That is the same than enable history of the Flow! ;)

30 Oct 2021   [#13]
Hi,

One can, on more complex solids, also use the "edit frame". And all that we can do with it : resizing and rotating, partially or over the entire surface of the projection plane, etc.. Great!

I ask myself a question, can we have a regular grid? This is not the case in my example (I have to try).

Zooen

Image Attachments:
Deformer.jpg  Deforrmer.jpg 

2 Nov 2021   [#14] In reply to [#13]
""""Can we have a regular grid"""""

If you create your desired rectangle then run "network", should give you your "regular grid"

You can also manipulate the point count and loft to create various grids
3 Nov 2021   [#15] In reply to [#14]
BurrMan > If you create your desired rectangle then run "network", should give you your "regular grid"

can you show me an example ?

http://moi3d.com/forum/messages.php?webtag=MOI_FRANCAIS&msg=675.6
3 Nov 2021   [#16] In reply to [#15]
You can also use Extrude with the "Set path" option to make a point grid surface:
http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=1313.2

- Michael
3 Nov 2021   [#17] In reply to [#16]
Thank's Michael that suits me!
3 Nov 2021   [#18] In reply to [#17]
Zooen,
Yup, I was wrong. Michael gave the answer.
4 Nov 2021   [#19] In reply to [#18]
doesn't matter! Either way, even the best can be wrong.

Zooen

Show messages: All  1-7  8-19