MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: Live Mirror

2 Mar 2021   [#1]
Hi MOI, users, creators and Guru's. Is there a way to model in MOI with live symmetry? If I draw up a sphere. Then I turn on show points. I am able to do mirror modeling, By selecting certain points. But I can't seem to figure out how to get it to model live with symmetry. I tried it many times. Also selecting and deselecting the different axis's. I think I had this working at one point. Can't seem to get it. Any ideas out there?
2 Mar 2021   [#2] In reply to [#1]
I am not sure you can make Live symmetry on the same object!
on 2 objects yes
So you can overlap your 2 objects and
just union your 2 spheres at the end of modeling!! ;) (not shown here)

here the boolean union :)

2 Mar 2021   [#3] In reply to [#1]
Hi Specktech,

Apply Mirror command to the object to create the "virtual" twin, which may be reverse handed.
As long as History is not terminated, further actions on the real object are duplicated on the virtual object, for many commands, but not all(?)
But History does not apply to all commands, and is only so deep, and history can come to an end, and ...?

There are other posts about History...

- Brian

The plane of the reflector surface (mirror) is determined by the two points chosen in the Mirror command, and the View, Top/Bottom, Front/Back, Right/Left.

I would like to have an alternate Mirror command, where the first point chosen is on the surface of the reflector mirror, and the second choice is a Plane or a Frame, for orientation of the reflector mirror.
I think that this might be useful in 3d view.
https://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=10186.1
2 Mar 2021   [#4] In reply to [#3]
I had previously been reading this quite a few times. I was searching quite hard for info. on mirror modeling. Gonna study it really close. I basically like to draw faces. Quadcopters, Airplanes. etc. So when modeling and drawing on one side it sure makes it easy for exact symmetry. I was creating some simple bounding boxes around my drawings. Then subdividing them with added points. Then I was pulling different sets of nodes out to accurate points along the bounding box sides. This is the only way I found to create with equal symmetry. I really appreciate your tips bemfarmer, and Frenchy.
2 Mar 2021   [#5] In reply to [#2]
I completely understand what you explained Frenchy Pilou. I had to read it twice and let it soak in three times. he he So stoked when you post these amazing diagrams. Seeing it in action, with your explanations is perfect. Thank you so much.
4 Mar 2021   [#6] In reply to [#3]
Thank you bemfarmer. I really appreciate your tips. I was not using the History command at all. That is really helpful. Thanks again.