MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: import SubD with crossing creases - any solution?

Show messages:  1-5  6-25  26-31

3 Mar 2021   [#26] In reply to [#24]
What was the method used for the start volume ?
3 Mar 2021   [#27] In reply to [#26]
Hi Pilou, I did an extrude followed by boolean intersection:

- Michael

Image Attachments:
pilou_shape1.jpg  pilou_shape2.jpg  pilou_shape3.jpg 

3 Mar 2021   [#28]
Funny as the position of the vertical section changes the result!

3 Mar 2021   [#29] In reply to [#28]
Michael wrote: "... open the door for a using a hybrid modeling approach using SubD to create some organic
elements like say the base form of a helmet and then continue working on it using the regular NURBS toolset
to construct other components from curves and add details using booleans."

Exactly. I'm working on my 3rd MoI car model tutorial at the moment. Built 100% within MoI. The car body is SubD, the interior is partial Sub D & partial Nurbs, and the wire spoke wheels and external chrome trim pieces & bumpers are Nurbs.

I like working within one program, and a hybrid approach works well for those times you need it. After seeing demos of the latest Rhino SubD tools, I considered buying Rhino for that purpose. Then I realized I don't need SubD for my business use, just my hobby use, so I decided against buying. So while the current SubD tool set is limited, you can do some very useful work.

My opinion is MoI has most the essential SubD tools and just a few more basic ones would make a very nice toolkit. As with any software, you'll want the high end complex packages if you're a professional, but MoI gets the job done for me.

Ed Ferguson
3 Mar 2021   [#30] In reply to [#29]
Also for me Moi3D is sufficiently good if you know how use, the SubD, Moi3D gave me now the possibility to make complex hulls, that I can edit and make these better inside Moi3d in less time, but I have an experience in both type of software Nurbs CAD and mesh modelling such as sub-div software, I can also predict dimensions of surfaces also diameters and for me is a dream this bridge between these worlds not only for organics types, because often is very harder obtaining a Nurbs shapes with surface continuity in a CAD modeler.
these images are all converted from subdiv geometry, edited inside Moi3D in various mode with boolean and surfaces joined and made them solid.

Image Attachments:
Schermata del 2021-03-04 01-44-01.png  Schermata del 2021-03-04 01-45-01.png  tn.png 

4 Mar 2021   [#31] In reply to [#30]
Hi pafurijaz,

I do agree at 200% but i'm really comfortable with my new workflow since 2 years now : Moi3D + Blender

Cheers

Show messages:  1-5  6-25  26-31