MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: Data Export Formats Difficults

23 Feb 2021   [#1]
Hi,
my exported data formats show diffucults and problems for my CNC manufacturer.
SAT - parts are missing.
STEP - he cannot open at all.
He works for the car industries - AUDI. I guess the reasons are not in his capabilitys reading external software formats...

Ideas and workarounds?
Best, Mala
23 Feb 2021   [#2] In reply to [#1]
What are the formats eligible by your CNC manufacturer ?
23 Feb 2021   [#3] In reply to [#1]
HI Mala, what software are they using that is not able to read the STEP file?

Can you send the STEP file to me so I can take a look? You can e-mail it to me at moi@moi3d.com

Also ask if they have access to Rhino and if so then send the .3dm file for them to open with Rhino.

Or if they don't have Rhino you might ask them if they receive data from people using Rhino and what works best for them in that case.

Another possibility is to send IGES format.

- Michael
24 Feb 2021   [#4] In reply to [#1]
Hi Mala, I've sent you back a new version with a couple of tweaks, cutting closed surfaces into 2 parts and redoing 2 trim edges that seemed to be problematic for SAT.

Try exporting that new version to all of SAT/STEP/IGES and see if that works any better.

- Michael
24 Feb 2021   [#5] In reply to [#4]
Hello Michael,
sorry for my delay.
I just converted into the different formats of you refined version and sent it to the manufacturer.
Tommorow I may tell you more...Thank you very much, best regards...
28 Feb 2021   [#6]
Hi Michael,
cannot find your message in the inbox...so here...the only format the cnc-maker was able to read is the .iges
He has many opportunities to read and translate files...but step sat etc didnĀ“t work.
Not sure whatis his cnc-software exactly...he works with catia, and all the other similar candidates as far as I know.
Ok - seems to work with iges...best regards...
28 Feb 2021   [#7] In reply to [#6]
Hi Mala, I'm glad that IGES format worked ok. Over here I tried the STEP and SAT files with 5 different programs and it imported ok into all of them. It would be good to know exactly what programs and what versions they are trying to use and if they aren't trying with more than one program you may want to find another shop.

- Michael
28 Feb 2021   [#8] In reply to [#7]
try to find it out...