MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: Boolean Difference uneven cut.

23 Feb 2021   [#1]
I'm working on a modular environment and I am having trouble with keeping things on the grid. Boolean diff from rectangle is cutting on a slight angle. The right side is not on the grid and starting on the left, it starts out on the grid. I've built a whole modular environment and upon zooming I'm starting to see this throughout the design.

Image Attachments:
1A.png  1b.png  1C.png 

23 Feb 2021   [#2] In reply to [#1]
Can you post your 3Dm file...

You have not drawn your rectangles with "Snap" on grid ?
23 Feb 2021   [#3] In reply to [#2]
The rect. is visible along the grid line in the picture and yes, I have Grid Snap enabled.
23 Feb 2021   [#4] In reply to [#3]
What version do you use ?

And what exactly do you make ?

I have no special problem...same if I Boolean Diff a volume! by a rectangle...All stay on the grid...

23 Feb 2021   [#5] In reply to [#1]
Hi Memnok, when you have a problem it's very helpful if you can post the .3dm model file with your objects in it instead of only a screenshot. That makes it possible for me to zoom around and examine things which I can't do with a screenshot.

My best guess from your screenshots is that you're zoomed in to a super extreme level and you're seeing the display artifacts that result from the limits of floating point arithmetic.

What is the 3D distance of those irregularities that you are showing? If they're something like on the order of 0.00000000000001 units or so then you've kind of entered into the "quantum realm" sort of where you're seeing the precision limitations of floating point numbers.

So basically don't do that - it's good to zoom in pretty closely to ensure things are working as expected but if you zoom in too much you'll get the kind of display glitches that you are showing there.

Maybe I can tune this up some in v5, there is an alternate higher precision display path that is enabled if your objects have coordinates far from the origin because large coordinate values also makes a similar kind of precision problem. Maybe I can enable the higher precision pipeline when you're at an extreme level of zoom as well.

But for now stop zooming when something like 0.000001 units or so would become a significant on-screen distance. You'll just be chasing phantom problems.

- Michael

Message 10188.6 was deleted

23 Feb 2021   [#7] In reply to [#5]
Yep, you nailed it, Michael. Taking a look at the area in 3D view I can tell that I was zoomed in too far - didn't realize how far it zooms in via orthographic mode.

I'll stop chasing subatomic particles now.

Cheers