MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: DXF import only wire frame / No surfaces ?

20 Feb 2021   [#1]
Hi

I try to import DWF model from SketchUp. MoI only import wireframe without any faces.
Is there any way to fix it ? or I should try other file formats.
On reverse side, from MoI to SketchUp, it works well.

Thank you for your support.

Image Attachments:
MoI SKP Import DXF Problem.png 

20 Feb 2021   [#2] In reply to [#1]
Hi Kwin, yes that's correct, MoI's DXF import is only focused on 2D drafting type entities.
It can read these entity types from a DXF file:

LINE, CIRCLE, ARC, POINT, LWPOLYLINE, POLYLINE (LINE/ARC DATA), ELLIPSE, SPLINE, TEXT, MTEXT, DIMENSION, LEADER.

Your DXF file probably contains polygon mesh data in it either as "3DFACE" or "Polyface mesh" entities. MoI does not try to read those entities because MoI is not designed to work with polygon mesh type objects for modeling.

Since SketchUp is based on polygon modeling, it's difficult to import that type of model into MoI. Something like a sphere in SketchUp is not a single sphere spline surface like it is in MoI, instead it's made up of a large number of little flat triangle facets.

You can export from MoI out into SketchUp .skp format, which will break up a sphere surface into a lot of little triangles but it is not very easy to go the other way around and try to take already diced up triangles back into large smooth spline surfaces.

So in general the data flow is only one way - from MoI to SketchUp and not from SketchUp into MoI.

- Michael
20 Feb 2021   [#3] In reply to [#2]
Hi Micheal

Thank you for your clear explanation. I understand now.
I actually also try to export to Blender and try Blender to MoI.
Result is the same. No Polygon mesh allowed.
Nevermind, I found MoI can still be a good tool to do task that polygon modeling hard to create.

Just wonder, I heard that MoI and Rhino can Ctrl+V, Crtl+P copy-paste model between these 2 apps without exporting and importing.
Is it possible to copy paste model from MoI to SKP directly for better work flow ?
This should be very useful feature.

Thanks

Image Attachments:
Blender to MoI.png 

20 Feb 2021   [#4] In reply to [#3]
Hi Kwin,

re:
> Is it possible to copy paste model from MoI to SKP directly for better work flow ?

Sorry, no not currently.

- Michael
21 Feb 2021   [#5]
< Is it possible to copy paste model from MoI to SKP directly for better work flow ?

Try to use free PconPlanner for any transform convert files format! ;)

https://pcon-planner.com

For Blender you can try the OBJ format and reload by the Native SUbD Create From a file if you want subdivide
or _ImportOBJ by Max SMirnov if you want not aespecially subdivide...
21 Feb 2021   [#6] In reply to [#5]
Thanks a lot Pilou.
I never use PconPlanner, will take a look.

:)