MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: How to improve this loft surface ?

20 Feb 2021   [#1]
Hello, anyone could giving me idea how to make this loft surface smoother ?

Image 1 : I am trying to use MoI to enhance SketchUp modeling. This case SKP cannot handle surface well and MoI seems to do better job.
but there is some area to improve.

Image 2 : I notice problem are from 2 reference points are too far far each other which may cause not smooth face.

Image 3 : I try to use "Add point: in editor menu but I can't add any new point on this curve and can't improve loft operation

Is there any idea what should try ? I also attached MoI 3D file here.

Thank you very much.

Attachments:
Seat Loft.3dm

Image Attachments:
Loft Problem 00.png  Loft Problem 01.png  Loft Problem 02.png 

20 Feb 2021   [#2] In reply to [#1]
Hi Kwin, you're getting that kind of a result because of the segmentation structure of your curves:

With an equal number of segments in each loft profile, they will get matched segment-to-segment, so for example these areas will be matched:

And thus generate a surface like this:

To get the result you want you would probably want to eliminate the segmentation so that each profile is made up of just one single smooth segment instead of multiple curve segments.

The Rebuild command can help to get that kind of result:
https://moi3d.com/4.0/docs/moi_command_reference10.htm#rebuild

I've attached a version where I've edited the segments to be tangent at their ends and then used Rebuild to make a single segment curve, then lofted. Is this closer to what you wanted?

- Michael

Attachments:
Seat Loft2.3dm

Image Attachments:
kwin_segments1.jpg  kwin_segments2.jpg  kwin_segments3.jpg 

20 Feb 2021   [#3] In reply to [#2]
Hi Micheal

Thanks a lot for helping me fixing this model.
This will help me learn how to handle curve next time I import curve from AutoCAD.
Your model surface looks better. I may need to adjust curve if I would like to have smoother result.

I am going to learn "Rebuild" command and do it again by myself.

Thanks for quick response :)

Image Attachments:
Loft Problem 03 Rebuild Curve 01.png  Loft Problem 03 Rebuild Curve 02.png