MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: Glass wavy surface

Show messages: All  1  2-8

20 Feb 2021   [#2] In reply to [#1]
To model a gemstone, start with a solid mass, and cut away the facets, one by one, by boolean, using a cutting object of the proper shape. Rotate the tool around the centerpoint, for each cut. A different cutting tool for each type of scalloped cut?
If the glass is smooth inside, revolve vertical profile U curve, for the inside, with an angled vertical line for the outside, to make a truncated cone cup starting solid.
It is hard to tell from the picture, the geometry.
- Brian

A mold may have been used for the original?
Array and shell come to mind?
Is the glass partly square?
20 Feb 2021   [#3] In reply to [#1]
Hi Guille, see this thread for a similar type of thing:
http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=9815.1

- Michael
20 Feb 2021   [#4]
Hi,

I think you could use a flow.

You do a curve to have a profile and revolve it (to have a structure of target for the flow).

You create the skin with your waves by boolean operations

You flow the skin on the target structure.

Rapid test here :

Attachments:
VERRES.zip

Image Attachments:
verre1.jpg 

21 Feb 2021   [#5] In reply to [#4]
Thanks Phiro,

that was so helpful, it took me a while to workout the 'flow' process but got there in the end. I found a couple of problems along the way like doing the 'Fillet' to the skin. For some reason it would only let me fillet the whole object rather than particular edges (i need to learn a bit more about structures + fillets in general) which forced me to delete the sides of the skin otherwise the flow wont close the object, do I make sense? but this is what i eventually got:

Also, I'm not entirely sure how to close the bottom gap. Is there a way to build the object with a cap in place? the way im doing is by using 'Planar' a but i can't get to 'join' or 'merge' the object. I'd prefer to close that gap so i can export an .obj as a single object.

Many thanks everyone for your super helpful comments!!

Guille

Image Attachments:
Screenshot 2021-02-21 114719.jpg  Screenshot 2021-02-21 114803.jpg 

21 Feb 2021   [#6] In reply to [#5]
Hi Guille,

re:
> Also, I'm not entirely sure how to close the bottom gap. Is there a way to build the object with a cap in place?

To build a cap on an object with wall thickness like this you'll need 2 openings with the inside one up a little higher so it can have some thickness, like this:

If that doesn't make sense can you please post the .3dm model file?

- Michael

Image Attachments:
Guille_thickness.jpg 

21 Feb 2021   [#7]
Hi,

Fileting the top after flow is a problem of the flow.
The sides of your object are flowed too.
If you hide the top side, you will see it.

You could delete those two faces, then separate and rejoin all the faces then you could filet the top border.
If you prefer, you could blend intern and extern top edges, or sweep an arc to avoid edges created by filet.

But, you could filet before flowing.

For the bottom side, I have done an extrude of the edge.
Then I resize the x and y to permit a boolean union.
Before boolean union, I move up this cylinder for fileting the bottom.
At the end, I filet inside the glass.

Image Attachments:
2021-02-21_17h14_34.png  2021-02-21_17h23_53.png  2021-02-21_17h28_19.png  2021-02-21_17h29_23.png 

21 Feb 2021   [#8] In reply to [#4]
Very great job, Phiro

Thanks for sharing your flow

Chri

Show messages: All  1  2-8