MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: 3d Connexion settings bug?!

20 Feb 2021   [#1]
Hi,

I was playing around with my compact and tried to adjust the pan/zoom/rotate speeds but it seems that the 3d con driver overrides the moi 1.0 parameters. Aka I leave the speed in the driver at default but dial the numbers in moi down. That changes nothing in terms of speed for me.

And i've found "ZoomApproachTarget" in the .ini. I understand that this would zoom towards a selected object but it doesn't seems to do that.
20 Feb 2021   [#2] In reply to [#1]
Hi Chris, "ZoomApproachTarget" means it will move by a fraction of the distance to the rotation pivot point like how mouse zooming works.

Is it the zoom speed only that you're having trouble with? You might try setting Options > View > 3D View projection = "Parallel" since zooming in a parallel projection view is much simpler than in a perspective view.

What do you mean by the "1.0 parameters", are you editing the speeds in the moi.ini file directly? If so then MoI v4 uses new settings in there:

RotationSpeedV4=1.0
PanSpeedV4=1.0

the settings under:

PanSpeed=1.0
ZoomSpeed=1.0

are not used by MoI v4 anymore so there won't be any effect from setting those ones.

You can use the UI under Options > View > Rotate/Pan/Zoom options > 3Dconnexion options > "Pan speed" and "Zoom speed" which should set the right ones.

The new settings are used in v4 because the default speed was changed in MoI v4 and so the speeds set for previous MoI versions are ignored and new ones used instead.

- Michael
20 Feb 2021   [#3] In reply to [#2]
Ok, that clears it up a bit. Was sure that those 3d connexion settings inside moi wouldnt have any effect on the actual speed.
The zoomapproach is still not really clear what the difference is but hey :D

Sry for the unnessecary thread!
20 Feb 2021   [#4] In reply to [#3]
Hi Chris, re: zoom approach target, the "approach target" means something like this, the eye moves forward some fraction of the distance between the eye point and the target point so it goes closer and closer to it but doesn't go past it unless you're really close to it:

Non-zoom approach target means the both the camera and target point move together forward like this:

This only applies to a perpsective view, in a parallel view zooming is different and is controlled by a scale factor value instead of needing to move the eye point around like is needed in perspective.

- Michael

Image Attachments:
zoom_approach_target1.jpg  zoom_approach_target2.jpg 

21 Feb 2021   [#5] In reply to [#4]
Oh wow thx alot!