MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: Lag

Show messages:  1-20  21-40  41-44

14 Feb 2021   [#1]
Is anyone else experiencing lag in 4.0? Creating a simple extrusion is not a smooth progress and I'm also getting delays when trying to perform certain tasks.

Thanks for any help.

-B
14 Feb 2021   [#2] In reply to [#1]
Hi Billa,
A simple test extrusion of a pentagon takes +/- the same amount of brief time in both MoI4 and MoI3.
Have you tried the same .3dm in MoI3?
Is the profile being used for the extrude simple or complex?
Posting a problem extrude might help.

So is the problem the profile, or the computer hardware or software setup?

- Brian
14 Feb 2021   [#3] In reply to [#1]
Hi Billa, what is your operating system? Various tasks including extrusion does the processing work in a separate process and then uses interprocess communication to send the result back to the main process. This helps keep some potentially long calculations to be cancelable.

But if your system has something on it that either interferes with the interprocess communication or makes it slower to start up a new process then you will get the kind of lag that you are describing.

On Windows if you have anti-virus set up try adjusting its settings to tell it not to interfere with both moi.exe and moi_commandprocessor.exe .

If you're on Mac try looking under System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Privacy > Accessibility > "Allow the apps below to control your computer" and if MoI is listed there remove it or uncheck it.

- Michael
14 Feb 2021   [#4] In reply to [#3]
Hey Michael,

Thanks for chiming in. Here are my specs for my comp:
No Antivirus
Windows 10

So far I did a re-install, I also switched to the new studio drivers that Nvidia is offering now, this seemed to help a little, but once i start getting a bunch of splines in my scene, it starts lagging again. I also tested in v3 and it runs as smooth as butter. I'm completely stumped.

-B

Image Attachments:
rig.JPG 

14 Feb 2021   [#5] In reply to [#2]
Hey Brian,

I've tested in v3 and its very smooth. as far the extrusion, its just a rectangle. but here is one problem. Rotating what i have circle is giving me lag,not a lot of lag, but its not smooth.

Also just so its not asked. All snaps are turned off.

Image Attachments:
rotate.JPG 

14 Feb 2021   [#6] In reply to [#4]
Hi Billa, do you see any difference if in MoI you go to Options > General > "Edit .ini file" button and then inside moi.ini set:

GraphicsAPI=OpenGL

that setting can be one of: Auto, OpenGL, or Direct3D11.

Another thing you might fiddle with in moi.ini is to set:
StaticBufferMaxVRAMToUseMB=0

That will effectively disable the VRAM caching mechanism and only stream data to t he card like v3 did.

- Michael
14 Feb 2021   [#7] In reply to [#6]
Hey Michael,

When I opened the ini file it was set to Auto. I tried OpenGL first and they gave me a all kinds of problems, one being it wouldn't let me select edges and if I clicked in an empty space, it would select a face of an object that I had in the scene. so then i tried Direct 3D11. That one does seem to smooth things out a bit. At least a lot smoother than it was.

Thank you guys for helping.

-B
17 Feb 2021   [#8]
So I made a quick video to show what's going on, maybe it would help to come up with some possible solutions (fingers crossed). Any help is greatly appreciated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XOy_MCWuIU&feature=youtu.be

Michael I also tried altering the static buffer in the ini file, like you suggested, but no luck.
17 Feb 2021   [#9] In reply to [#8]
HI Billa, sorry I'm pretty stumped. The main difference between V3 and V4 is that V3 used Direct3D9 while V4 uses Direct3D11.

I tried doing some research on your particular card and it seems that there are similar problems reported:

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/forums/discover/283079/major-stuttering-with-all-games-rtx-2080/

Are you on a laptop? Seems to be a problem where it's severely throttling the GPU clock speed when it hits a certain temperature.

There are some settings mentioned in the thread you could try, like running the app in Windows 7 compatibility mode by right-clicking on the app shortcut / Properties.

You also might try shooting some compressed air through it to clear out any dust if that is preventing it from being cooled well.

I don't know why Direct3D9 would be unaffected, maybe it somehow doesn't support the thermal throttling or something like that.

- Michael
17 Feb 2021   [#10] In reply to [#8]
In the Nvidia control panel, see if there's a setting for "Maximum performance" that you can set.

Are you possibly overclocking the GPU?

You might want to get a temperature monitor utility like CPUID HWMonitor and see what temps your GPU is hitting.

- Michael
17 Feb 2021   [#11] In reply to [#8]
Also try uninstalling Geforce Experience in-game overlay software, or any other recording type additional software.

- Michael
17 Feb 2021   [#12]
Hey Michael,

This is a desktop, but I haven't cleared the dust out in a while. I'm gonna feel like an asshole if that's the problem. I'm not overclocking and I tried setting the app the windows 7 compatibility. that didn't help. I also tried changing the quality to performance, no luck. . Ill clear the dust out this weekend. Here is a screengrab of my temps. Sorry for all the trouble man but thank you so much for trying to help.

-B

Image Attachments:
temps.JPG 

17 Feb 2021   [#13] In reply to [#12]
Hi Billa, keep HWMonitor running for a couple of days so you can see what the peak temp gets to.

- Michael
17 Feb 2021   [#14]
Will do Michael. Will report back this weekend, once i clear the dust out. Thanks again. Oh I also disabled the Nividia overlay thing and uninstalled Camtasia.

-B
17 Feb 2021   [#15] In reply to [#14]
Hi

I have the same issue, but.

It happens only on first time I do extrusion when I start Moi. While doing extrusion first time it takes a while, but after that all extrusions are quick and smooth - so not a problem for me.

Thanks
Perttu
17 Feb 2021   [#16]
You need to look in the task manager at this point, maybe there will be a hint.
17 Feb 2021   [#17]
hi there.

from top of my head..

try unstalling display drivers using ddu and make a 'clean' re-install. there is always some gunk left from previous drivers...

https://www.wagnardsoft.com/content/display-driver-uninstaller-ddu-v18036-released

is vertical sync on or off? nvidia control panel, 3d settings..sometimes this could produce hiccups by capping the refresh rate.

i noticed that your display is running @75hz. just to rule things out, try setting your display rate to 60 hz and check if there are any changes. sometimes helper apps like g-sync will kick in and that could cause some lags.

try putting it through some benchmark like 3dmark 11, there might be some memory problems after all.

https://benchmarks.ul.com/legacy-benchmarks

it's legacy, but should work fine.

best,
marco
18 Feb 2021   [#18]
Hey Marco,

I ran the benchmark test which gave me the following result. I tried changing the display from 75 to 60, nothing changed. I also turned off vertical sync. It was on "Let the application decide" I turned it off, no change. I'm going to do the clean reinstall of the gfx card later this afternoon and let you know how that goes. Thanks so much for the help.

-B

Image Attachments:
1.JPG 

18 Feb 2021   [#19]
I have some lag too when using the extrusion tool in version 4. I have a MS Surface Book 2 with Geforce 1060 GTX. I will try to investigate the reason also.
18 Feb 2021   [#20]
Ok, So I blew out all the dust, was that much actually. I ran the DDU to uninstall my GPU drivers and then ran a clean install. Ran Moi and the lag is still present. My temp hasn't gone above 131 degrees fahrenheit. So I guess unless someone else has any suggestions, I'm just going to go back to v3 for now. Thanks everyone for really trying.

-B

Show messages:  1-20  21-40  41-44