MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: V5 Wish List

Show messages:  1-20  …  321-340  341-360  361-380  381-400  401-420  421-440  441-460  …  521-529

30 Apr 2022   [#381] In reply to [#375]
@Larry,

re :
> Assembling the individual PDFs into a multi-page document isn't a problem for me (just a small hassle),
> but the thought occurred that if it was relatively easy to append to an existing PDF it would be quite
> handy. I'll look forward to whatever you come up with & appreciate as always your willingness to help!

I put a plug-in for doing this over here:
http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=10679.1

- Michael
1 May 2022   [#382] In reply to [#378]
Am I am not even sure why one would need the cube. Got all of it already in the tabs ...

Message 10114.383 was deleted

1 May 2022   [#384]
A circular selection mode would be helpful
2 May 2022   [#385] In reply to [#381]
Hi Michael,

AddPageToPDF.js with podofomerge works great with V5 beta, thanks!!

A little odd though as it appears to work with V4 (script functions as it does in V5, with no errors), but the output file is not changed.

I'm on a MacBook Pro with M1.

--Larry
2 May 2022   [#386] In reply to [#385]
Hi Larry,

re:
> A little odd though as it appears to work with V4 (script functions as it does in V5, with no errors),
> but the output file is not changed.

I've updated AddPageToPDF.js so it should work ok now on v4 Mac now as well.

It was an issue with spaces in filenames that v5 automatically compensates for.

- Michael
2 May 2022   [#387] In reply to [#386]
> I've updated AddPageToPDF.js so it should work ok now on v4 Mac now as well.

Confirmed working, thanks again!

--Larry
7 May 2022   [#388]
Feature request for V5... add dimension field to POLYGON data entry fields

I would to be able to:
1. select POLYGON
2. select the desired option (Center, Edge, Star)
3. enter the desired number of SIDES (sidebar question... can the default number of sides by set in the .ini file?)
4. tab to a new 'dimension' field (below the SIDES field?) to enter the desired polygon dimension (eg, the CIRCUMSCRIBED dimension if selected). I'd also prefer to have the entered dimension match my USER PREFERENCES for DIAMETER vs RADIUS or vice versa, eg, use DIAMETER if CIRCLES is set to use DIAMETER (or provide an .ini option to set the preferred default).

For example, if I'm using the current implementation correctly(?) for a CENTER drawn polygon, the TAB button cycles between SIDES and CIRCUMSCRIBED. To enter the desired CIRCUMSCRIBED dimension, I have to move the cursor to the XYZ data entry box to enter the desired dimension. Or create the polygon and then edit the dimensions.

Obviously not a significant change functionally but would potentially improve my workflow when creating polygons.

Thanks as always for this great CAD program!

Scott
7 May 2022   [#389] In reply to [#388]
Hi Scott,

re:
> (sidebar question... can the default number of sides by set in the .ini file?)

The default comes from this line in the Polygon.htm file inside the commands install folder:

<td><moi:UnsignedIntegerInput id="numsidesinput" default="5"/></td>

You could change that to default="8" for example.

Another thing you can do is set up a shortcut key which will set it to a particular value. For
that you would put in this for the shortcut key:

Polygon numsidesinput=9

re:
> For example, if I'm using the current implementation correctly(?) for a CENTER drawn polygon,
> the TAB button cycles between SIDES and CIRCUMSCRIBED. To enter the desired CIRCUMSCRIBED
> dimension, I have to move the cursor to the XYZ data entry box to enter the desired dimension.

Yes you need to set distance constraint to control it currently, by entering the distance value in
the XYZ (or "d") input control like you describe.

The main reason why the polygon command doesn't have a radius input field is that it's not fully
defined by a radius value alone, it still needs a point to be placed to control the orientation of
the polygon.

I guess it could be possible to have a radius/diameter field there which would do the same thing
as setting distance constraint. One thing that's potentially problematic with that though would
be that there would effectively be 2 different spots where you would be setting distance
constraint and what should I do if you enter in a different value in one control vs another.

Another thing I've been meaning to set up for some time is a shortcut that would put focus in the
XYZ control always and not in the command option fields like Tab does. Like maybe Ctrl+Tab.

- Michael
7 May 2022   [#390] In reply to [#389]
Hi Michael,
So with regards to modifying the polygon.htm file....

MoI's structure is that the htm and js files have the same name to address each other.

I just wanted to be sure. Or possibky suggest a pointer in an htm file to a js file.

So why i ask, is "i" would make a polygon3-polygon5 and polygon8 htm file etc. As many as i like, though they all only really need polygon.js

Not more js files just for the name match.

But really, its not overly intrusive. Just wanted to ask about if it worked that way now, and i didn't know it
7 May 2022   [#391] In reply to [#390]
Hi Burr, so the way that commands in MoI work is when you enter in a command name to run, MoI will look in the commands folders (both install and appdata and any additional ones listed in moi.ini) for a .js script file with that name.

There can optionally be an .htm file with the same name as well. If there is then it will start up loading the .htm file into the command options area and let that finish loading first before loading and executing the .js file's script code.

re:
> Not more js files just for the name match.

It won't work like that because the .js file is the main thing associated with a command, it's the .htm file that is optional. If you have a command that does something and exits without showing any UI then only the .js file is needed.

re:
> So why i ask, is "i" would make a polygon3-polygon5 and polygon8 htm file etc. As many as i like, though they all only really need polygon.js

Instead of doing that you could give a command line parameter and have the script pay attention to that to parameterize it.

There is also a mechanism where if you give a command line parameter using the id values of one of the controls in the .htm file it will set the control to that value. So for example instead of having polygon3.htm, polygon5.htm, polygon8.htm you could do:

Polygon numsidesinput=3
Polygon numsidesinput=5
Polygon numsidesinput=8

- Michael

7 May 2022   [#392] In reply to [#391]

"Why that's IMPOSSIBLE"

No no no. "I was inverted"!!!

Thanks Ice!

7 May 2022   [#393] In reply to [#392]
:) It's kind of crazy there's going to be a new movie after so many years.

- Michael
7 May 2022   [#394] In reply to [#393]
It will have been 11 years since i have been to one. Gonna take my son, who is 16 now!!! Can't wait!
9 May 2022   [#395] In reply to [#389]
Hi Michael

Thank you for the solution to my sidebar question.

After reading your explanation re my request for a polygon 'dimension' field, I did find a workaround solution that streamlines my workflow to some extent. I discovered that after selecting the desired polygon shape, I can enter the desired polygon dimension (radius) in the 'd' field as my first entry. This 'd' value then remains active until I finalize the polygon orientation. So with this workflow I'm able to 'preset' the polygon radius which works fine for my purposes.

Would adding a redundant 'd' field in the polygon settings section (under SIDES?) possibly make this workflow simpler without causing the conflicts you mentioned earlier? Or would a redundant 'd' field be potentially confusing/inconsistent with the MoI UI?

Again, not a big issue for me and especially given the workaround I mentioned above. Just highlighting in case you thought this one might be a possible MoI workflow improvement.

Cheers

Scott
9 May 2022   [#396] In reply to [#395]
Hi Scott,

re:
> Would adding a redundant 'd' field in the polygon settings section (under SIDES?) possibly
> make this workflow simpler without causing the conflicts you mentioned earlier? Or would
> a redundant 'd' field be potentially confusing/inconsistent with the MoI UI?

Well the problem is I'm not sure about the answers to these questions so that makes me
hesitate.

One thing that I have done though is I've made Ctrl+Tab work to always put keyboard focus into
the XYZ input control and not into the command specific options area like plain Tab does.

So you'll be able to use Ctrl+Tab and then type a number into the XYZ input to set distance
constraint without any clicks needed.

- Michael
27 May 2022   [#397]
Hi Michael,

Would it be possible to add a description column to the Shortcut Keys for clarity? Longer descriptions can be used.

Thank you,
Wayne

Image Attachments:
Shortcut Keys Description.png 

27 May 2022   [#398] In reply to [#397]
Hi Wayne,

re:
> Would it be possible to add a description column to the Shortcut Keys for clarity? Longer descriptions can be used.

At some point I would like to have it set up so that you only see a description like that where it comes from some kind of script library. But I don't know when that will happen.

Probably the next area of work for keyboard shortcuts will be to do multi key sequences.

- Michael
30 May 2022   [#399] In reply to [#398]
"Probably the next area of work for keyboard shortcuts will be to do multi key sequences."
What you mean?
Maybe the possibility to crate shortcuts commands like in Autocad or Rhinoceros?
e.g.

OF --> space bar = offset
BEV --> space bar = Bevel
BOO --> space bar = boolean
BOU --> space bar = boolean union
BOD --> space bar = boolean difference

In Autocad you can use space-bar or enter key to execute the command

I hope you can add that type of shortcuts commands.
30 May 2022   [#400] In reply to [#399]
BEV --> space bar = Bevel
BOO --> space bar = boolean

How is made the difference when you press the Space Bar ?
or you write first BEV then Press the Space Bar ?
or you Press the Space Bar then write BEV ?
or...

Show messages:  1-20  …  321-340  341-360  361-380  381-400  401-420  421-440  441-460  …  521-529