MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: V5 Wish List

Show messages:  1-20  …  301-320  321-340  341-360  361-380  381-400  401-420  421-440  …  521-529

19 Apr 2022   [#361] In reply to [#360]
Hi Michael,

Yes of course, the example attached, I wanted to be able to draw a curve like the red one u see over that object. Somehow I thought maybe there that way I could have a better control of the curve.

Note: I put more thought into it and I think with the current features of Moi achieving things like what I wanted is pretty much possible. and I am willing to take back my request :)

( I mean when I considered how much work it may require to make Moi gain the ability to directly draw on the curved surfaces; I think it may not worth it!)

_Psygorn

Attachments:
Example.3dm

19 Apr 2022   [#362] In reply to [#361]
Hi Psygorn,

re:
> Yes of course, the example attached, I wanted to be able to draw a curve like the
> red one u see over that object. Somehow I thought maybe there that way I could
> have a better control of the curve.

It's better to draw planar curves and use projection to get that result.

It's most likely that trying to draw a curve like that directly on the surface would
actually be less controllable. Part of the problem with it is that there isn't just one
single way to do it.

Something like drawing a curve in the surface's UV parameter space can tend to have
distortions especially with things like you have here where the surface is compressing
down to a point on one end.

- Michael
19 Apr 2022   [#363] In reply to [#362]
Hi Michael,

Thank you for your explanation .

_ Psygorn
23 Apr 2022   [#364]
* Small wish: an address bar in the File explorer while saving / opening files. A section to save Favorite locations for Quick Acess would be great.

* Medium(ish?) Wish: A faster and more interactive way to access / Modify Styles. like having a color cube with a hue slider on the side bar. The color cube toggles between changing the color of selected objects/faces, the background, or modifying the active style. the yellow color indicating selections would temporarily be disabled while changing styles to allow for interactively seeing the new style. Such interactivity would help with design, and open up the doors for MoI to be used for more purposes.

* Huge, huge Wish: that big fillets thingy. and all its children (I presume) like "tweak face" and "delete fillets". that would definitely make MoI the ultimate CAD software. If it's possible to implement once the license is bought, maybe crowdfunding to buy it would work? maybe there's a whale hobbyist somehere who would do it for the whole world? One can only dream.
23 Apr 2022   [#365] In reply to [#364]
Hi Flowgun,

re:
> Small wish: an address bar in the File explorer while saving / opening files. A section to save
> Favorite locations for Quick Acess would be great.

MoI uses the standard file dialog which is provided by the operating system. It's up to the OS
to provide something like this in the file dialog UI.

It would take quite a lot of work to make a complete custom replacement file dialog instead
of using the system one. So that's not really feasible.

What operating system are you running on? There might be some kind of utility software
available that could customize the system file dialog.

- Michael
23 Apr 2022   [#366]
Hello Michael,

Is it possible to extrude a point (vertex) in Moi? ( I know I can drag the vertex at the end of a line/curve however, I think the ability of having it extruded could be useful! )

Also is it possible to have Planar command working on not closed loop of edges?

_Psygorn
23 Apr 2022   [#367] In reply to [#366]
Hi Psygorn,

re:
> Is it possible to extrude a point (vertex) in Moi?

Sorry no not currently.

> Also is it possible to have Planar command working on not closed loop of edges?

No, it needs to have a closed planar loop of edges to form a proper trim boundary.

- Michael
23 Apr 2022   [#368] In reply to [#367]
Hi Michael,

Ok :-)
23 Apr 2022   [#369] In reply to [#367]
Michael,

quote:
>Is it possible to extrude a point (vertex) in Moi?
Sorry no not currently.

I note that you provided a more detailed response to a similarly posed question from a few years ago.
quote:
The geometry library that MoI uses for these functions does not currently have an implementation of handling points like this. It could be possible in the future for me to add it but it will require adding a custom function for each of these cases.

Is it just wishful thinking, or does the brevity of your more recent answer hint at the possibility that this is something that you given some thought to enacting?

Rereading that earlier post, ( http://moi3d.com/forum/lmessages.php?webtag=MOI&msg=6925.454 ) I was reminded that back then we also discussed making control points addressable. Although I can't find the specific post, I recall (correct me if I'm wrong) that you would be investigating point indexing for a future release. Is this part of the road map for V5?

I fully trust your stewardship of MoI3d, so even if these will not be available in the near future, I am nevertheless still enthusiastic to see what is.

Thanks
James
https://www.instagram.com/nodeology/
23 Apr 2022   [#370] In reply to [#369]
Hi James,

re:
> Is it just wishful thinking, or does the brevity of your more recent answer hint at the possibility that
> this is something that you given some thought to enacting?

It hasn't really been on my radar. I took a quick look and I got a little discouraged that the selection
prompt for Extrude says "Select curves, edges, or faces to extrude" and then adding in points means
I have to either make that prompt kind of excessively verbose, or I guess shorten it down to say "Select
objects to extrude" I guess.

> Rereading that earlier post, ( http://moi3d.com/forum/lmessages.php?webtag=MOI&msg=6925.454 )
> I was reminded that back then we also discussed making control points addressable. Although I can't
> find the specific post, I recall (correct me if I'm wrong) that you would be investigating point indexing
> for a future release. Is this part of the road map for V5?

There is a first level of this implemented in the first v5 beta currently, check near the end of the release notes:
"Edit points scripting - Add scripting interface on objects for:"
http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=10652.1

- Michael
25 Apr 2022   [#371] In reply to [#365]
My bad. the System File Dialog works great in Moi V4 (on windows 10).

tbh, I still use MoI v3 mostly since I encounter performance problems with v4. It's most likely because of my system though. I believe it's something that has to do with Javascript crashing. I also have a very old CPU that I bought for around 15 bucks (i7 3770).

I should be more careful before posting on the forum. I don't want to waste anybody's time, so my apologies.

PS: I keep on noticing these seemingly "Under the hood" improvements between v3 and v4, like support for 7100 FBX, the improvement in File Dialog, and so on. This makes me more excited for v5, as I'm starting to rely more and more on MoI in my workflow. Best of Luck with it!

- Flowgun
25 Apr 2022   [#372] In reply to [#371]
Hi Flowgun, no problem. Yes MoI v3 used an older interface for the file open dialog on Windows. MoI v4 was updated to use the latest.

re:
> tbh, I still use MoI v3 mostly since I encounter performance problems with v4.

Do you still see the performance problems with v5?

There is also a setting in v5 to make it use the same Direct3D9 system graphics library that v3 did, you can set that in moi.ini under:
[View]
GraphicsAPI=Direct3D9

If you have a pretty old flaky video driver that worked better with MoI v3 that could make v5 behave more like v3 on your system possibly.

- Michael
29 Apr 2022   [#373]
Hi Michael,

When saving as a PDF, I wonder how hard it would be to offer the option to append a new page if the PDF already exists? For me the use case would be the many times that I'm appending the PDFs of different views of something to produce a document to share. If it is not too difficult, I would find this quite handy!

I realize that PDFs are complex, so if it would make such a feature simpler to implement, maybe the option is only offered if the existing PDF is "easy" to work with, for example created by MOI?

--Larry
29 Apr 2022   [#374] In reply to [#373]
Hi Larry,

re:
> For me the use case would be the many times that I'm appending the PDFs of different
> views of something to produce a document to share.

For this use it seems like it might work better if you could generate the multi-page PDF all in one go from some kind of list of saved views.

I think it might be possible to make a script that would do a "save to PDF append page" if I can set up a helper utility program for it to call to do the merge. The PoDoFo library that MoI uses for PDF handling has a utility like that in it so I'll give it a try.

- Michael
30 Apr 2022   [#375] In reply to [#374]
Hi Michael,

> I think it might be possible to make a script that would do a "save to PDF append page" if I
> can set up a helper utility program for it to call to do the merge. The PoDoFo library that MoI
> uses for PDF handling has a utility like that in it so I'll give it a try.

Assembling the individual PDFs into a multi-page document isn't a problem for me (just a small hassle),
but the thought occurred that if it was relatively easy to append to an existing PDF it would be quite
handy. I'll look forward to whatever you come up with & appreciate as always your willingness to help!

--Larry
30 Apr 2022   [#376]

"Wish" list....

Continuity controls added to sweep curves and rails.

Sortof the same work as 4 sided continuity added to network and nsided.

:)

30 Apr 2022   [#377] In reply to [#374]
Michael

I know it is very early days yet with development of V5, and I'm unaware the your plans for GUI improvements. Although the view window buttons on the bottom nav bar function well, I wonder if there is a more elegant solution that doesn't hog so much screen realestate.
Although the colours are a bit garish, I think the navigation cube in this online SD modeller could serve as an example:
https://stephaneginier.com/archive/nomad_demo/

The navCube is immediately comprehensible on initial encounter with the interface and the labelling of faces greatly assists with orientation.
It also includes screen reset facility: clicking a second time on the cube face selection zooms to selected object extents.

Now, I know that there is no option for split screen, but perhaps a small adjacent 4 pane window icon could solve this requirement.
Please disregard this suggestion if it does not meld with your vision of Moi3d

James

Image Attachments:
navCube.jpg 

30 Apr 2022   [#378] In reply to [#377]
Hi James,

re:
> Although the view window buttons on the bottom nav bar function well, I wonder if there is a more
> elegant solution that doesn't hog so much screen realestate. Although the colours are a bit garish,
> I think the navigation cube in this online SD modeller could serve as an example:
> https://stephaneginier.com/archive/nomad_demo/

It looks like it performs a somewhat different function than the Split / 3D / Top / Front / Right view tabs in MoI.

When you click on Top on that view cube, it's navigating a perspective view camera position. When you click on
the Top view tab in MoI it switches the orthographic 2D Top viewport to be maximized.

The 2D ortho views in MoI help to give more of a 2D drawing workflow when you're working in them, it would
be a problem to eliminate them and only navigate the 3D perspective view like the view cube navigation
is doing.

- Michael
30 Apr 2022   [#379] In reply to [#378]
Michael

quote:
The 2D ortho views in MoI help to give more of a 2D drawing workflow when you're working in them, it would
be a problem to eliminate them and only navigate the 3D perspective view like the view cube navigation
is doing.

Of course, I wasn't advocating abandoning 2D orthographic projections, but rather suggesting the possibility of adapting this type of navigational device to operate within MoI3d similarly to how the button row works now (perhaps with animated transitions).
And as for the 4up split view, this could be handled by additional adjacent icon.

Anyway it was only a thought, not even a request.
Have a great weekend,
James
30 Apr 2022   [#380] In reply to [#379]
Hi James, I think it might be difficult to animate a transition between perspective and orthographic. I'm not sure though.

The way that particular view cube navigation works it isn't an issue because it stays in a perspective view the whole time. That's why it's a somewhat different type of function than MoI's view tabs.

Another issue is that in MoI when you switch to a 2D ortho view you don't do any view orbiting. With the view cube you need to be able to orbit the camera to expose different views that you might want to switch to. All the different views are not always exposed and ready to click on immediately, like if you go to Top it's kind of problematic that the view cube now just shows Top where you're already at and you have to do some camera orbiting movement to be able to go somewhere else.

It doesn't really fit in with MoI's 2D viewports being separate from the 3D view. That's why I mentioned getting rid of the 2D ortho views, because it seems like that would probably be a precondition for making it work.

- Michael

Show messages:  1-20  …  301-320  321-340  341-360  361-380  381-400  401-420  421-440  …  521-529