MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: V5 Wish List

Show messages:  1-20  …  81-100  101-120  121-140  141-160  161-180  181-200  201-220  …  521-529

8 May 2021   [#141] In reply to [#140]
1) this was official forum
2) look on features in ViaCAD Pro they say something about ACIS in ViaCAD 2d/3d is nothing. Look also that ViaCad 2d/3d has no STEP translator which has been done with using ACIS.

Edit: For that price of ViaCAD Pro is possible to buy parametric Alibre Design (also ACIS).

Edit2: Is it very expensive to include ACIS kernel from MoI modeling tools into even if MoI would cost twice? Is it possible? I mean only those which are better. Or its bad idea to mix more than one kernel in CAD software? I deam loudly about MoI with some ACIS/parasolid filleting, offseting and shelling. I`m asking because in Rhino I use very nice Xnurbs patching plugin which has own kernel only for this single operation and it`s brilliant. I hope there will be more plugins like that.
8 May 2021   [#142] In reply to [#141]
Hi mdesign, I guess it looks like that is true about ViaCAD 2D/3D "regular" version not having ACIS anymore. It's also discussed here:
http://forum.punchcad.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=10462#post39765

That doesn't make a lot of sense to rip out so many functions from a program and then present it as a new version to upgrade to.

- Michael
8 May 2021   [#143]
Here is MOI to 123d and Back to MOI via STEP file format.
Using version 123D_Design_R2.2_WIN64_2.2.14

Image Attachments:
123d.JPG 

8 May 2021   [#144] In reply to [#142]
that's a pity. I wanted to give them my money but after seeing that compare chart and for moves like this I won`t.

That purchase of ViaCAD PRO for more than 600$ is without sense.
8 May 2021   [#145] In reply to [#143]
But no need to used (for avoid any problem) it if you turn the Generator curve of the sphere before the Union! ;)
It must don't touch the cube!
Then Fillets works like a charm! :)

Try with this one! https://moiscript.weebly.com/uploads/3/9/3/8/3938813/exo0905.3dm

Don't ask me why! :) you must turn it! (fillet 1 will be fine)

8 May 2021   [#146] In reply to [#141]
Hi mdesign,

re:
> Edit2: Is it very expensive to include ACIS kernel from MoI modeling tools into
> even if MoI would cost twice? Is it possible? I mean only those which are better. Or
> its bad idea to mix more than one kernel in CAD software?

It's possible to use more than one kernel but it can be difficult if one of them is finicky about what kind of geometry it accepts. Both ACIS and Parasolid are on the fairly finicky side of things.

- Michael
8 May 2021   [#147]
I don't know if anyone asked for this before!

Could we have something like C-selection in blender?

(in blender in wire frame mode one can press C and then a circle appears around the mouse radius of the circle is controllable by mouse wheel, with that circle the user is able to select certain edges, surfaces, points. and by pressing Shift user can deselect)

Could we have such thing? It would be useful for cases I have tried to show below:

8 May 2021   [#148] In reply to [#147]
Hi Psygorn, what are you trying to select in the case you are showing, is it all the vertical edges or something else?

- Michael
8 May 2021   [#149] In reply to [#145]
"But no need to used (for avoid any problem) it if you turn the Generator curve of the sphere before the Union! ;)
It must don't touch the cube!
Then Fillets works like a charm! :)
Don't ask me why! :) you must turn it! (fillet 1 will be fine)"

This is an often valid solution indeed. Calculations like fillets are more prone to failure if the fillet crosses a surface seam.
8 May 2021   [#150]
Hi Michael,

This has probably been mentioned before, but I'd like to add the wish for SVG export from MoI. That would be very welcome for working with Blender next to MoI.

Thanks in advance!
8 May 2021   [#151] In reply to [#148]
Hi Michael,

It's just a show case imagine I would like to select bunch of those vertical lines! (Maybe the photo is not a good example)

Is lasso selection possible in MOI?

Also in blender there is an ability in which for example user selects middle face, edges or points and then by holding Ctrl & + together; Blender selects adjacent faces, edges, point according to the number of times user presses mentioned keys. Do we have such an ability in MOI? Could we have such an ability in MOI? (I have tried to show this ability in the attached photo imagine you select middle rectangle and then by pressing a desired short key Moi would select faces that are in contact with middle rectangle)
8 May 2021   [#152] In reply to [#151]
Hi Psygorn,

re:
> It's just a show case imagine I would like to select bunch of those vertical lines!
> (Maybe the photo is not a good example)

You can do that in MoI by using a crossing window - that's where you drag a selection window starting on the right side and moving towards the left. That will show a selection rectangle with a dashed outline which means that anything that intersects with the window at all will be selected. Here is an example with vertical lines:

> Is lasso selection possible in MOI?

There isn't a lasso selection but there is a window selection. Window selection starting from left going towards the right shows a solid outline and will only target objects completely inside the window. Starting from the right going towards the left will show a dashed outline and target anything that has any part crossing the window.

> Also in blender there is an ability in which for example user selects middle face, edges or points
> and then by holding Ctrl & + together; Blender selects adjacent faces, edges, point according to
> the number of times user presses mentioned keys. Do we have such an ability in MOI? Could
> we have such an ability in MOI?

Yes, you can set up a shortcut key to expand selection like that:
http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=6988.4

- Michael
8 May 2021   [#153] In reply to [#151]
Maybe not exactly that you want but you have some selection commands
you can edit anything

script: /* Selection by length so similar */ var min = 1.0, max = 5.0; var crvs = moi.geometryDatabase.getObjects().getCurves(); for ( var i = 0; i < crvs.length; ++i ) { var crv = crvs.item(i); var len = crv.getLength(); if ( len>= min && len <= max ) { crv.selected = true; } }

script: /* Sélection < or > something given --> edit ">"*/ var size = 1.0; var objs = moi.geometryDatabase.getObjects(); for ( var i = 0; i < objs.length; ++i ) { var obj = objs.item(i); var bbox = obj.getBoundingBox(); if ( bbox.diagonalLength < size ) obj.selected = true; }

script: /* Longest Curve */ var curves = moi.geometryDatabase.getObjects().getCurves(); var maxlen = -1; var maxcrv = null; for ( var i = 0; i < curves.length; ++i ) { var crv = curves.item(i); if ( crv.hidden || crv.locked ) { continue; } var thislen = crv.getLength(); if ( thislen> maxlen ) { maxlen = thislen; maxcrv = crv; } } if ( maxcrv != null ) maxcrv.selected = true;

script: /* Smallest Curve*/ var curves = moi.geometryDatabase.getObjects().getCurves(); var minlen = 1e100; var mincrv = null; for ( var i = 0; i < curves.length; ++i ) { var crv = curves.item(i); if ( crv.hidden || crv.locked ) { continue; } var thislen = crv.getLength(); if ( thislen < minlen ) { minlen = thislen; mincrv = crv; } } if ( mincrv != null ) mincrv.selected = true;
9 May 2021   [#154] In reply to [#152]
> Yes, you can set up a shortcut key to expand selection like that:
http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=6988.4

That's great :)
9 May 2021   [#155] In reply to [#153]
Tanx PILOU :)
9 May 2021   [#156] In reply to [#152]
@Michael,

I have another question. In MOI hidden faces still interact? take a look at the attached photo I hid two faces. and I wanted to select only those circular faces using box selection but I was not able to do so!

Attachments:
Box_Selection_Problem.3dm

9 May 2021   [#157] In reply to [#156]
script: function es(edg){ var i,f; for (i=0; i<edg.length; i++) {f=edg.item(i).getFacesOfEdge(); f.setProperty('selected',1);}} var so = moi.geometryDatabase.getSelectedObjects(), sf=so.getFaces(), i; for ( i=0; i<sf.length;i++) es(sf.item(i).getEdges()); es(so.getEdges());

Just clic the center circular face then for example Alt + E if you have made a such ShortCUt...
9 May 2021   [#158] In reply to [#157]
Hi PILOU,

I already am using that script :) Michael told me about it in his reply message (10114.152)

My question is something else! Do hidden faces still react when you use box selection? And If yes then I would like to make a wish for MOI V5. I would be happy to see box selection does not interact with hidden faces in V5.
9 May 2021   [#159] In reply to [#158]
So in your "hidden" object View Top just Select your center circular face and make a rectangle selection
you will obtain that you want!

(the first click on something face, edge...will define the nature of selection
so if you click a curve or an edge the rectangular selection will select only curves or edges

9 May 2021   [#160] In reply to [#159]
Tanx PILOU :)

Didn't know that it requires a click!

Show messages:  1-20  …  81-100  101-120  121-140  141-160  161-180  181-200  201-220  …  521-529