MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: booleans in latest V4 version are not clean

22 Nov 2020   [#1]
in previous version, this has a perfect result. (although on an older Mac, this is done with a 2019 MacBook Pro - Mojave)

wim

Attachments:
boolean after.3dm
boolean boolean before.3dm

Image Attachments:
Screenshot 2020-11-22 at 18.05.07.png 

22 Nov 2020   [#2]
Correction: I opened this in v3.2 and it gave the same error. must be something in the geometry then? can't find out what exactly...
22 Nov 2020   [#3]
At the end
Kill the piece of sphere
NetWork

22 Nov 2020   [#4]
Not sure if the surface from the network is the same than a sphere but that close fine the volume! :)
22 Nov 2020   [#5]
Thanks for the explanation Pilou but I was hoping for an explanation why this does not work. If I move the sphere 1 mm up, the problem is solved, so there must be some intersection or so which generates bad geometry. I made sure the seams were on the other side, so that can't be the problem.
22 Nov 2020   [#6] In reply to [#5]
I have a better solution! :)

Make a Boolean Merge! And kill volumes not wanted!
At the end the volume is a solid!

Michael will give you some explanations why the Boolean Diff don't works fine... ...

22 Nov 2020   [#7] In reply to [#1]
Hi wim, it's just a guess since it will take a lot of work to confirm but I think it's probably the positioning of the bottom sphere's "pole" right nearby (but maybe not quite precisely on?) the intersection between the surfaces:

When I use Construct > Curve > Isect to generate intersection curves and zoom in to that pole closely it seems that the intersection curves come close to it but don't quite hit it directly.

The local area right around the pole of a sphere is kind of a sensitive zone because one direction of the surface is collapsing down to a single point. That causes some kinds of degenerate conditions for things like derivative and normal calculations. There is stuff in place to try and deal with those but maybe if you're just at the right spot nearby it, it can still be problematic.

- Michael

Image Attachments:
wim_edge1.jpg 

22 Nov 2020   [#8] In reply to [#7]
Just took a look and can confirm this to be the case...

If you go to the front view and rotate the sphere, just a bit, to get that seam edge away from the other object, the boolean works fine...
22 Nov 2020   [#9] In reply to [#8]

22 Nov 2020   [#10]
Seam or not the seam that is the question! :)
23 Nov 2020   [#11]
Thank you all, it is clear to me now! it seams there was a seem problem anyway ;-)

wim
23 Nov 2020   [#12] In reply to [#11]
The Boolean had an issue, though it's been seamlessly steered towards a funny bone...

I seem to like that....
23 Nov 2020   [#13] In reply to [#12]
Although, i think my post was kindof misleading with the way i described it...

Michael DID give a description of what was causing the issue. It's NOT the seam edge.

I could "pole" the group to discover my mistake.

You could also rotate the spheres seam further into the base object and get good results too, so it's not really the "seam"...

But since we are making an avoidance move, i chose seam out, to get rid of the pesky rascal anyway....

Note to self.....
23 Nov 2020   [#14]
The more funny is that my solution of the Boolean Merge resolves all but you must make some manual clicks! :)
(2 in this special case)
23 Nov 2020   [#15] In reply to [#14]
That seems to indicate the code to pole what part to throw away, is where the issue lay...

(See what i did there!)
23 Nov 2020   [#16] In reply to [#15]
@BurrMan:

It's hard to explain puns to kleptomaniacs because they always take things literally.

¡¡ To be clear, I am NOT suggesting that anyone is a kleptomaniac !! (…its just a pun)
23 Nov 2020   [#17] In reply to [#16]
Lol, Mindset....

I DO want to have a good time and be light with everybody... but i also forget that i am in a multi national setting, and i don't always get my point across....

And google ruins it, because they have a thing called "translate", which is NOT a translator, but a simple and often incorrect word exchanger...

But i'v learned to live with it.... it causes me to Take things, literally!