MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: Apple M1 CPU - MoI arm64 prototype

19 Nov 2020   [#1]
If you're a MoI v4 beta user and you've got one of the new M1 Macs please send me an e-mail at moi@moi3d.com if you want to test a prototype MoI universal binary with native arm64 code.

I've managed to get a build with everything other than SKP and FBX file format output but I don't know if it actually works yet or not.

It's not going to actually ship in MoI v4 since we're right at the very end of the v4 release cycle right now but it would be good to find out if it seems to be actually working ok or whether I'll need to get an M1 over here to work out any kinks.

- Michael
24 Mar 2021   [#2] In reply to [#1]
How was this? Did you finally had a M1 final version working? Any plans on v4?
Apple silicon is appealing if something more powerful comes up.
24 Mar 2021   [#3] In reply to [#2]
Hi eduarcor, there is still one missing piece which is that the SketchUp SDK library used by MoI to write out to SketchUp .skp format is not yet available in a x86_64/arm64 build yet. That's the last thing needed to have full functionality in the arm64 version. I'm targeting this for a full release version for v5.

- Michael
25 Mar 2021   [#4]
In the meantime, I can say that the MoI x86_64 releases run perfectly on the M1 "Apple silicon" Macs. I do not claim to have tested all functions, but all that I normally use work just fine. I've also run Michael's arm64 prototype and noticed no difference in performance for the models that I work on, the native arm64 binary might be faster on more complex models. MoI V4 on a new M1 Mac make a great combination!

--Larry
25 Mar 2021   [#5] In reply to [#3]
but v5 wouldn't be really far away from now? I mean, maybe is worth it to have in 4 too when the library comes
25 Mar 2021   [#6] In reply to [#5]
Hi eduarcor,

re:
> but v5 wouldn't be really far away from now? I mean, maybe is worth it to have in 4 too when the library comes

v5 beta releases are not far away.

It doesn't really fit in well for v4 because it would be good for it to be tested in a regular beta release and the v4 beta period is finished. The next beta period will be for v5.

- Michael
25 Mar 2021   [#7] In reply to [#6]
Absolutely, thanks for the reply. Still testing it. I am new to this kind of modeling. Coming for poly background...
26 Mar 2021   [#8]
Like Larry, I want to also chime in and say that I have an M1 MacBook Air (16GB) and the intel version of MOI works fine in emulation. I also have tried the prototype ARM build. Everyday modeling there is hardly any noticeable difference between the two applications.

On my most complicated object (import of Truggy Assembly STP) I get the following from clicking open to first display:
Mac Intel MOI: 1m 04s
Mac Arm MOI: 46s

So Arm MOI does see a speed improvement, but for most situations, including when I tried to trip it up with complicated booleans, I saw no speed difference between the two.

For comparison on my somewhat dated Windows 10 PC (i7-5820k 3.3Ghz, 32GB Ram) the same test has the file open in:
Windows: 1m 44s

So the intel emulated version of MOI on M1 Mac is still 40 seconds faster.
22 Apr 2021   [#9]
4/23/2021- Now that the iPad Pro has been upgraded with the same M1 SOC seen in the Macbooks, Macbook Pro, Mac Mini, and now the latest iMacs, would it ever make sense to create a parallel version of MoI for the iPad? The 1TB and 2TB (!) models come with 16GB RAM, so the device is equally capable as the desktop and laptop M1 Macs, and there's the Apple Pencil to consider. MoI has been advertised for use with a stylus for quite some time, and now there's an iPad that is built for purpose. MoI could be a flagship 3D modeling app for the iPad, possibly. Just my enthusiastic 2 cents, obviously. Best wishes to Michael, and keep making MoI goodness for as long as it interests you. Cheers!

Edit: I accidentally called Michael by the wrong name (Chris). Very sorry- I was up late doing tutorials, and was pretty sleepy!

Image Attachments:
Screen Shot 2021-04-23 at 2.15.46 AM.png 

22 Apr 2021   [#10] In reply to [#9]
Hi mistrrhappy, sorry no I'm not expecting to produce a version of MoI for the iPad.

There are a couple reasons - one is that I'm just maxed out supporting the current platforms as it is, and secondly one key thing where the iPad is severely limited compared to Macs is that you can only distribute software for it through Apple's app store. I don't like how the app store works for developers.

- Michael
22 Apr 2021   [#11]
Maybe you can try this (run for android tablet but i suppose that was the same for iPAD :)

https://www.realvnc.com/ Free (the only one for me who simulate the Right Click and Mouse wheel )
if you need other than your fingers
- An OTG connector 3$ for connect your mouse on the tablett
- An universal stylet 3$

and you can use any progs running on your computer on your Ipad ! :)

Run like a charm for me on a low price Samsung tablett !
Of course you must have a computer in the near 20 meters...
23 Apr 2021   [#12] In reply to [#10]
Thanks for the quick response! I'm sorry to hear it, but you know better than I what resources you can allocate for the best outcome. I remain grateful for your work on MoI, and look forward to buying a copy of v4 for my M1 mac!

Have a great weekend!
23 Apr 2021   [#13] In reply to [#11]
Thanks very much for the information!
28 Apr 2021   [#14] In reply to [#12]
The m1 Macs should run Mac Intel MOI. Did you try it?
28 Apr 2021   [#15] In reply to [#14]
Hi Paul, yes the Intel MoI build does work fine on the new M1 based Macs.

- Michael