MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: Mirror one side and connect

12 Nov 2020   [#1]
Hi Moi3d colleagues, I have a question and need your help: When I develop a model that is symmetrical, I divide the basic shape exactly in the middle and finish the details on one half completely. At the end I mirror the half and connect both halves. Works very well - I have a solid object. BUT: you can see the connection - you can see the curves that were connected. How do you do that? Is my approach wrong? Here are 3 pictures where you can see what I mean - and the model (as cross section - one half). MUCH thanks for your help!

Attachments:
SpaceShip-Mirror.3dm

Image Attachments:
S1.jpg  S2.jpg  S3.jpg 

12 Nov 2020   [#2] In reply to [#1]
Hi RJ,
Nice model.

So there is a slight "groove" in the upper center.
If you look at the "v" iso-lines in the groove area, the tangent of the top end of the curve dips downward, which causes the "groove."
If all of such end tangents were "horizontal", the join or boolean of the halves would not have the "groove."

At its local apex of a v iso-line in that area the tangent is "horizontal". (derivative = 0)
Perhaps a script could be written that would create a curve passing through these horizontal tangents, enabling a width of the groove area to be deleted,
and then maybe Blend could fill in the deleted hull surface band near the groove area?

- Brian

MoI4beta has new methods to get the tangents and derivatives of curves.

I think that the derivatives of the U iso-lines would also need to be considered.
12 Nov 2020   [#3] In reply to [#2]
Hi Brian,

many THX for your quick response and your help! Do you mean "curve" + "iso" -> then select the face and Pick "v-Direction"? Hmmm .... I don't know right what you are meaning with all tangents should be "horizontal" ... is there a function in moi3d where I can see all iso-curves? Again, THX a lot for your help!!
12 Nov 2020   [#4] In reply to [#3]
You see iso curves only when you draw them or when thare drawn!

Else you have the Multi-iso http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=6841.14

12 Nov 2020   [#5] In reply to [#3]
Hi RJ,

The Iso command is along-side the Project and
Silhouette commands:

Construct>Curve>Iso (u or v or both can be selected)

There may be better ways than my remarks.
Others will chime in when the time zones align:-)

- B
12 Nov 2020   [#6]
Hi Rj, nice model!

you can easily fix the surface continuity at the join by Trimming a bit from each side and filling the gap using Blend G2.

Dinos

Attachments:
SpaceShip-Mirror-blend.3dm

Image Attachments:
Screenshot 2020-11-12 at 7.48.04 PM.jpg  Screenshot 2020-11-12 at 7.49.41 PM.jpg  Screenshot 2020-11-12 at 7.50.44 PM.jpg 

13 Nov 2020   [#7] In reply to [#6]
Hi RJ!

If you divided your model in half and you get this result after mirroring, then it might be the case that your initial model was not completely symmetrical to begin with, or it would have this groove as well. Is that a SubDivision surface import or you modeled it inside MoI?

ps. Your model resembles a duck skull, it's cool :D
13 Nov 2020   [#8] In reply to [#4]
THX a lot Pilou!!
13 Nov 2020   [#9] In reply to [#5]
THX Bemfarmer for your help!!
13 Nov 2020   [#10] In reply to [#6]
Hey Dinos! This is a very good idea!! THX for your help - I appreciate that very much!!
13 Nov 2020   [#11] In reply to [#7]
hahahaha... duck skull :-) :-) - you are right. Yes, maybe it had already this groove. No, I have modeled it complete in MOI3D - I come from poly-modelling within c4d - 7 years now and it took (still take) some rethinking about modelling - but overall I love this method much more over polymodelling - the best would be to have both in Moi3d :-) ...
14 Nov 2020   [#12] In reply to [#11]
You can yet make funny spaceSphips in a minute like poly/ subD moding inside MOi! ;)

Take a look at this marvelous thread! ! :)
https://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI

Of course you can complexify ...it's just 10 seconds scribling...