MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: Bounding box center

Show messages: All  1-6  7-9

5 Nov 2020   [#7]
Hey Team and hey Michael!

Here is my file in case you want to check it out.

I will look into that command, I had totally forgotten about it!

(spoiler: ShrinkTrimmedSurface did not help)

Attachments:
bbcenter.3dm

5 Nov 2020   [#8] In reply to [#7]
Hi nameless, thanks for posting the file. So yes the result you're getting there is normal.

You can get a better idea of what is going on if you also use the BoundingBox command to make the bounding box itself in addition to the bounding box center.

The reason is that the bounding box is aligned with the world axis directions. On a shape like you have here that is oriented diagonally with respect to the world axis directions will have some corners of the bounding box extend out a ways from the object.

There is a center object snap available on a surface like that with a polyline boundary which will be the centroid of the points, maybe placing a point on that snap spot would work better for your case here.

- Michael
5 Nov 2020   [#9] In reply to [#8]
Hi Michael,

I see, thank you for shedding some light. I spam Scale with bounding box center reference a lot, so it felt weird scaling the surface and seeing it move away. But I can certainly use the center snapping point that appears when scale is activated. I was imagining the bounding box of a surface like a 2d rectangle containing it since it has no "thickness". :D

Show messages: All  1-6  7-9