MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: MOI "2D" ?

1 Nov 2020   [#1]
Hello,
just discovered that MOI3d is actually portable so I should be able to use it at work (no admin rights there). I intend to use it primarily for 2d use and find it extremely efficient in that domain. See attached example made yesterday. I just use the TOP view, no need for 3d.
Had me thinking: would be real nice if there was a 2d version of Moi3d.
No 3d space, and many functions would be left out or repurposed (like Extrusion, Loft, Cylinder and whatever is 3d).
IMO, just with the existing 2d functions and Moi3d's secret ingredient - the workflow, the speed of execution - we already have a 2d software that kicks Illustrator in the nxxx in term of speed and usability.
I believe it could reach a large group of graphic designers, for example, that might be intimidated by anything 3d but would be attracted by "MOI2D" and its lightning fast pace (maybe could be a little cheaper to close the deal?).
Basically, I'm thinking: bigger market that could be reached with some already developped tools. Same tools, new format.
In the future, some more specific 2d features could be added (line weight comes to mind, color fill for closed loops etc). Eventually, it might be offered on Ipad ??$$
I would definitely volonteer to be an Alpha tester ;)
Congrats Michael for this amazing software and for your dedication
Fred, industrial designer

Image Attachments:
moi2d.jpg 

1 Nov 2020   [#2] In reply to [#1]
Hi Fred, that would make sense but one of the things that helps me operate as a very small single person business is to keep my product lineup very simple. So I prefer to focus on just one single version of the software rather than having multiple versions for market-specific targeting.

And actually expanding into a bigger new market space is not really a goal for me, I actually like having things at a smaller scale that can be handled by just a one person company without needing to expand.

I do want to add more and more 2D illustration type functionality over time though!

- Michael
1 Nov 2020   [#3] In reply to [#2]
Hi Michael,
I understand, not necessary for a business to go full grandiose!
Can't wait to see some more 2d functionalities
2 Nov 2020   [#4]
I really think MOI is an undiscovered gem within the 2D illustration / vector market. I use MOI all the time for vector work (2D + 3D) since I find it's so damned quick and intuitive. I then copy/paste the vector paths from MOI directly into Illustrator (via a handy script that is available) , and then use the 'live paint bucket tool' to quickly color the vector drawing, utilizing all of the line work to color fill closed loops. It blew my mind how quickly I could create stuff. I also do animation in After Effects, and I can copy/paste paths from Illustrator straight into After Effects.

Basically, MOI3D works great in conjunction with other 2d vector apps. No need to create a stand-alone package ;-) Thanks again Michael for an amazing product!
2 Nov 2020   [#5] In reply to [#4]
Hi dfroster, I'm glad MoI is useful for you!

For others interested in copy/paste to 2D vector apps, these are the shortcuts you can set up:

For putting PDF format on the clipboard from MoI:

script: /* Copy PDF format to clipboard */ moi.geometryDatabase.copyToClipboardPDF();

For putting AI (version 8) format on the clipboard from MoI:

script: /* Copy AI format to clipboard */ moi.geometryDatabase.copyToClipboardAI();

- Michael
2 Nov 2020   [#6]
Fat Lines by Max Smirnov are very suitable for 2D works! ;)

http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=7594.31

or 3D one