MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: V4 Sept Beta Extrude slow on Mac 10.14.6

26 Oct 2020   [#1]
This may be just my machine (macbook Pro 2013) since I haven't seen any other mention of it, but I'm experiencing very slow graphic updates when performing extrudes etc, that I haven't noticed on previous versions. I've tried deleting the .ini file. Any thoughts on what might be causing this? I'm not seeing the same issues on my Windows install of the same version.

Colin
26 Oct 2020   [#2] In reply to [#1]
Hi Colin, is it with a complex set of curves or do you see the same thing with just a rectangle for example?

- Michael
26 Oct 2020   [#3] In reply to [#2]
Hi Michael, This behaviour occurs with simple geometry. There is usually a long pause between dragging cursor from curves to the extrusion showing on screen. I'm also seeing similar delays with the offset tool as well.

Colin
26 Oct 2020   [#4] In reply to [#3]
Hi Colin, do you have any anti-virus or anti-malware software running on the machine?

- Michael
27 Oct 2020   [#5] In reply to [#4]
I do have Sophos Home running, I don't have the same issues with V3.2 so I'm not sure that is the cause, but I will try turning it off for completeness.

Colin
27 Oct 2020   [#6] In reply to [#5]
For what it's worth, I've been running the v4 betas on a 2011 MBP (macOS 10.13.6) also with Sophos Home and have not noticed the issue that you're describing.

--Larry
27 Oct 2020   [#7] In reply to [#5]
Hi Colin, so for both of those commands, MoI runs the actual calculation inside a separate process and uses interprocess communication between the main process and the worker process. If some other monitoring program is interjecting itself into the middle of that, that could potentially cause the kind of delays that you're describing.

The particulars of how the interprocess communication works is different between MoI v3.2 and MoI v4, maybe the method that the Wine library used in v3 is not as easy to intercept as the v4 one.

- Michael
27 Oct 2020   [#8] In reply to [#5]
If you want to try setting up an exception for the MoI process to not be messed with by Sophos, you may need to set it for both the main MoI app and also the additional moi_commandprocessor executable which is located inside the app bundle (right-click and choose "Show package contents" to go into the app bundle) inside moi.app/Contents/Frameworks/moi_commandprocessor . Those are the 2 processes that need to communicate with each other.

If Sophos is intercepting and analyzing named pipe traffic between those 2 processes it could cause a slowdown like you are describing.

- Michael
28 Oct 2020   [#9] In reply to [#8]
HI Michael, Thanks for the explanation. I've uninstalled Sophos for now but extrude/offset behaviour still remains laggy. Thanks Larry for confirming its just me. I've tried running Moi with a new user account and I still have the same behaviour. Any other thoughts?

Colin
28 Oct 2020   [#10] In reply to [#9]
Updated! I think I have fixed the issue, although the solution was counter-intuitive. Deleting Moi3d v4 from the accessibility list in security seems to have fixed the issue, no more extrusion lag.

Colin
28 Oct 2020   [#11] In reply to [#9]
Hi Colin, hmm can you try going into Activity Monitor and then highlight "MoI v4 beta" in the processes list and on the wheel button in the toolbar pick "Sample Process" and maybe try to move the mouse around in an Extrude while it is sampling for the next few seconds and then send the report to me at moi@moi3d.com ?

Also another one is in Activity Montior note the pid for the "MoI v4 beta" process and from a Terminal prompt do:

kill -s SIGSEGV pid_number_here

That should trigger a crash dump to be generated, it may take it a minute or so before it shows up in the finder window that pops up. If you can generate that and also send it to me maybe I will be able to see something in there.

(hadn't seen your newer msg when writing this...)

Thanks, - Michael
28 Oct 2020   [#12] In reply to [#10]
That's great Colin, I wonder what side effect that accessibility list has that makes it slower? I'll try to see if I can find out anything about that.

- Michael
28 Oct 2020   [#13] In reply to [#10]
I can repeat over here that putting MoI on the "Security & Privacy" > Privacy > Accessibility > "Allow the apps below to control your computer." list causes lag.

I'll poke around a bit to see if I can figure out why - maybe it's a slowdown in spawning a worker process moreso than inter-process communication. But also I don't think that it is needed to grant MoI special permissions like that anyway though.

- Michael
28 Oct 2020   [#14] In reply to [#10]
Hi Colin, also do you happen to remember why Moi got added into that list? Does the OS tell you to put it there if you try to save into certain folders or something like that?

- Michael
28 Oct 2020   [#15] In reply to [#14]
Hi Michael, I'm sorry I don't recall adding it, but I doubt I would have added it without being prompted to do so. Moi3d V3 is also on that list as well.

Colin