MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: Guitar neck and arch top methods

Show messages:  1-20  …  41-60  61-80  81-100  101-120  121-140  141-160  161-180  181-199

22 Apr 2018   [#101] In reply to [#26]
Great advice Barry - thanks much!
23 Apr 2018   [#102] In reply to [#30]
Hi - sorry I didn't reply earlier. Yes I own two CNC machines. As you mentioned it seems the best neck transitions are done with filleting, blending, networking - and Boolean operations .. . unfortunately I have a long ways to go until I'm past the "learn your basics" stage - but its fun anyway!. Nice to know there is another hand builder around here you can appreciate what's involved. If you ever want to mill something let me know. Thanks a lot for your input.
23 Apr 2018   [#103] In reply to [#101]
Hi Neil,
here is the method I have been using with network & blend.
I'm still looking at lespaul head it may require a different method.
Hope this helps.
Barry

Image Attachments:
Network2.gif 

23 Apr 2018   [#104] In reply to [#103]
Wow - excellent - that is really clever - and looks fantastic. Have to get to work on that. Many thanks Barry! Trimming spheres that is so cool. I'll bet I wont be able to duplicate your work. I'm still having trouble reliably repeating trim and blend. :)
25 Apr 2018   [#105]
Hi Neil

I was struggling with the same challenge. I came up with this.

Image Attachments:
MoI_1.png  MoI_2.png  MoI_3.png  MoI_4.png  MoI_5.png  MoI_6.png  MoI_7.png 

25 Apr 2018   [#106] In reply to [#105]
Hello jopo,

That looks excellent - very nice transition! Thanks for sharing. Well done - can't wait to try that.
2 May 2018   [#107] In reply to [#80]
Here's a neck using Barry's trim and blend method and basic networking - all basic commands. Everything on this one checks out - so I feel I can move on to Barry's other method of using trimming spheres. And jopos networking and trimming example.

2 May 2018   [#108] In reply to [#105]
Thanks jopo,

I tried your method but obviously need to work on it - not sure how you're drawing the lines between the spliced arc and the headstock back - but the way you draw makes the network very smooth.

2 May 2018   [#109] In reply to [#6]
3d objects on cnc are machined using a ball-ended bit.
Similar to a topographical map, tool paths are mapped over the undulating surface of the 3d object. The finishing quality is achieved by placing these tool paths as close to each other as to create 90 percent overlap of the tool, which means it takes a long time.

Whenever profiling bits can be used, they are great because they are fast and require minimal sanding. The profile of something like a guitar neck is not consistent the way a profile bit is, unfortunately, leaving no choice but to go for 3d machining.

I hope this helps?

I use cnc to produce artwork and architectural elements - this is why I am learning MOI.

Cheers!
2 May 2018   [#110] In reply to [#109]
I use different bits for roughing and finishing - but always a ball end for finishing.
4 May 2018   [#111] In reply to [#108]
could you pleas mark the lines you mean.
5 May 2018   [#112] In reply to [#111]
Hello Jopo,

Please show me how you draw these highlighted (yellow) lines so that you end up with a rounded surface - when I try it leaves a crease.

Thanks

5 May 2018   [#113] In reply to [#112]
Hi Neil,

re:
> when I try it leaves a crease.

If you can please post the 3DM model file with your creased result in it, that could make it easier for someone to figure out what went wrong when you tried it.

- Michael
5 May 2018   [#114] In reply to [#113]
Been working on neck transitions since March and really in general still am below novice at this program. Lol. Have received a generous (and gracious) amount of world class help and can't express how much it is sincerely appreciated. I continue to make the most basic mistakes. Maybe should hire someone to make the neck models? As I'm improving very slowly. Jopos are nice and round - I can't seem to duplicate that with this neck shape.

5 May 2018   [#115] In reply to [#114]
Hi Neil, thanks for posting the file.

So it looks like you're using a different command than what Jopo used for this piece here:

Note how this area here swoops upwards? :

Looks like that was probably made using Network? The steps said to use Blend (between 2 edges) to make it, that would look more like this:

- Michael

Image Attachments:
neil_blend1.jpg  neil_blend2.jpg  neil_blend3.jpg  neil_blend4.jpg 

5 May 2018   [#116] In reply to [#115]
Hi Neil,
Michael is right. You have to use the blend command. It works only on edges if you like to model surfaces not on curves. I recommend you to hide curves under the "Types" browser. The lines you mean are edges of the surface which is the result oft the blend command. So you don't have to draw the lines. I hope I could help.
5 May 2018   [#117] In reply to [#116]
Thank you for the help. The reason I used network - because being a novice - that's what it looked like in the pictures. My only experience with blend is trim and blend - which seems different. Can you show how to blend this within the outlines of the neck profile - you can see here where the blend is behind the neck profile line in this file? Perhaps use network for that side maybe?

Attachments:
blend1001.3dm

Image Attachments:
Screenshot (82).png 

5 May 2018   [#118] In reply to [#117]
This one uses blend for the left side and sweep for the right side and middle sections - the middle looks very good - but the right side has an edge.

Attachments:
blendsweep.3dm

5 May 2018   [#119] In reply to [#118]
Hi Neil, the edge comes from using Sweep instead of Blend, when I review jopo's post here:
http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=8883.105

that was using all Blends. So you're getting a different result since you're doing different things.

There is a problem with the all Blends method though which is in this area here:

That's going to be generated as a "side wall" of the blend and it won't be guaranteed to be close enough to join in that spot, although it may be close enough if you're lucky.

One way to ensure that spot will join is to make the blend:

Then use Construct > Curve > Iso to extract several curves from the blend surface like this:

Also duplicate the top edge of the blend by selecting it and using Copy/Paste. Then you can do a Network like this:

That will then be guaranteed to join. The downside is that it's no longer guaranteed to be smooth. But it will be very very close to smooth since most of its shape is coming from the blend.

So you could try that if there are joining problems in that spot.

- Michael

Image Attachments:
neil_blend5.jpg  neil_blend6.jpg  neil_blend7.jpg  neil_blend8.jpg 

5 May 2018   [#120] In reply to [#119]
Thank you very much Michael & Jopo - tried all blends first but found (as you pointed out) the right side didn't fit the way it needed to. Good to know how to use the Iso curve command (in this context). The one attached uses two blends and one network - as I couldn't get the blend on the right side within the profile of the neck. Still working on this but pretty happy with it so far. After blending the middle changed the shape of the back of the neck and used the planer command.

Image Attachments:
Screenshot (83).png 

Show messages:  1-20  …  41-60  61-80  81-100  101-120  121-140  141-160  161-180  181-199