MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: Parametric design in MoI?

Show messages:  1-9  …  210-229  230-249  250-269  270-289  290-309  310-329  330-349  …  910-912

9 May 2016   [#270]
Hi Max and Karsten,

First of all, i wish to thank you for your efforts and for your constant developing!

Inside the NodeEditor, it would be possible to render the generated objects, using a particular style, just in order to better highlight them ?

The attached pictures show the actual Grasshopper's way...

And it would be possible to automatically select the generated objects, and eventually, assigning them to a particular style ?

Thanks for everything and have a nice day!

Marco.

Image Attachments:
01_Capture.PNG  02_Capture.PNG 

9 May 2016   [#271] In reply to [#267]
Hello Max,
I figured out why my code is so complicated. I ran allways in situations where I got confusing results or crashes in following nodes. I've tried to solve the problem at the wrong place (the code is now independent of the frame axes length). In a first test I saw that Math.asin in your code gives a NaN in some configurations??? Normally it is impossible, especially when frame.zaxis.x=1. Maybe a bug or a problem with floatingpoint arithmetics??? I don't know???

Karsten
9 May 2016   [#272] In reply to [#267]
The <Language>Strings.txt in MoI are grouped.
They also have comments and subtitles preceded by semicolons.

- Brian
9 May 2016   [#273] In reply to [#267]
Hello Max,

Damned! A simple "Math.round(frame.zaxis.x *10000)/10000" will fix it.

Have a nice day
Karsten
9 May 2016   [#274] In reply to [#267]
Hi Max and Karsten,

First of all, i wish to thank you for your efforts and for your constant developing!

Inside the NodeEditor, it would be possible to render the generated objects, using a particular style, just in order to better highlight them ?

The attached pictures show the actual Grasshopper's way...

And it would be possible to automatically select the generated objects, and eventually, assigning them to a particular style ?

Thanks for everything and have a nice day!

Marco.

Image Attachments:
01_Capture.PNG  02_Capture.PNG 

9 May 2016   [#275] In reply to [#274]
You can yet put a color to a node
Right Click on a node!

11 May 2016   [#276] In reply to [#267]
Hello Max,

let me make a last remark about the pushFrame before you release it. Your code works fine and I can't figure out any problems:-)
(little changes: clamp frame.zaxis.x to [-1;1] | ?90:-90; -> Math.PI/4;-Math.PI/4)
The function sets in gimbal lock ry to ?90:-90. Am I right, that we need in that situation at least a rx- or rz-calculation?
Something like (not tested):
rz = Math.atan2(frame.yaxis.z,frame.yaxis.y); or a direction dependent rz=Math.asin(frame.xaxis.y)??? with rx=0
As mentioned, in tests I didn't run in that situation:-)

Have a nice day
Karsten
11 May 2016   [#277] In reply to [#276]
Have you a graphic example of the use of the function "PushFrame" ?
11 May 2016   [#278] In reply to [#277]
Hello Pilou,

it's an internal function of the nodeeditor to push a frame in a pointarray. Caused by the switch to this united datatype I need it to e.g. evaluate the startpoint orientation of a curve and provide an orientated (point inculding frame )pointarray-type as an output. So you can make a curve, get the startframe and align a circle to it for a e.g. sweep.
http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=7777.53
The only diffrence to this example is that I separated the function form the curve (old GeneralCurve) in a node. Advantage: you can use the node for various curves.

You will find a draft in getCurveStartFrame in Infonode.js posted here. Problem: the name is to long -> to much space wastage on @'y'@ surface - any ideas?

Have a nice day
Karsten
11 May 2016   [#279] In reply to [#278]
p.s.: getPushFrame and showFrame are only nodes for test purposes:-)
11 May 2016   [#280] In reply to [#278]
Thx for the infos!
11 May 2016   [#281]
Hi All;

I am trying to understand the frame in the max's NodeEditor. Some nodes have frame input and output. Can someone please explain what is Frame? what kind of input requires for frame input. Is the frame in Max's nodeeditor is the same as frame in MOI.

Thanks,
sharif
11 May 2016   [#282] In reply to [#281]
Hello Sharif,

the simplest explanation for a frame is local coordinate system. So the frame has a basepoint, a x-axis, a y-axis and a z-axis in Moi. Max has created a new combined datatype for points and frames called pointarray which has a high flexibility. Every element consists of 3 coordinates (x,y,z) and 3 Euler angles (Notation X,Y',Z'') and a seventh coordinate (maybe useful for homogenous proposes?). If you create a frame node, a pointarray with one element in it will be created. You can manipulate the angles to orientate this virtual frame. Typically nodes for objects, that needs a frame as an input in Moi, are labeled with center. Nevertheless you can also connect a point node to it, because the angle infos (point node has also pointarray output) and so the frame informations are present. Only limitation: The point node has no rotation inputs. The big advantage of Max design is the flexibility, reduction of wires and make uniformly arrays of points/frames possible. An good example for the flexibility is Max line node: You can connect a single frame or point as input or complete streams of points/frames -> pointarray. The node will do the rest!

I hope you get me, my english is not the best!
Karsten
11 May 2016   [#283]
@ Max
An Alert Message when we press "New" ?
"Do want to Save before New?" : "Yes / No" for have the Time to Save if not yet done! ;)
12 May 2016   [#284] In reply to [#255]
Hi Max!

A short question about PontArray...

How would it be possible to collect a specified set of Point objects, into a PointArray ?

That is, starting from a given number of selected points present in scene, how to create a PointArray from them ?

And, what you say about my question at http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=7713.274 ?

Thanks for everything and have a nice day.

Marco.
12 May 2016   [#285] In reply to [#284]
Hello Marco,

my name isn't Max, but I can you give a node for that. It's a quick and untested hack of Max geniue concat node for Objects. I have changed only the input and output parameters. Please test it. Maybe Max can integrate something like that in his next release, maybe there is something like that already existing? Only Max know all the features:-)

Have a nice day
Karsten

Attachments:
arrays2.js

12 May 2016   [#286] In reply to [#282]
Hi Karsten;

Thank you for explaining. I need to do some examples to understand it better. I am thinking may be frame is similar to "plane Node" in grasshopper.

Regards,
sharif
12 May 2016   [#287] In reply to [#282]
Hi Karsten;

I have created a Series and a Range Nodes from other example nodes. I like the math node under basic and I was wondering if we can use the math node to generate series and range numbers instead of having separate nodes.

Second question is how I could use these generated number from Series and Range to create points in MOI ( See Attached Image ).

Thanks,
sharif

Image Attachments:
CreatePoints.png 

12 May 2016   [#288]
version 0.65
fixed several bugs

Karsten
>> and a seventh coordinate (maybe useful for homogenous proposes?)
It's a scale :)

>>Maybe Max can integrate something like that in his next release, maybe there is something like that already existing?
I wrote this node already But I'll check your version, maybe I'll find something interesting in it. :)

Marco
>> How would it be possible to collect a specified set of Point objects, into a PointArray ?
added ObjtoArray node. At the moment it works with point objects only.

>>Inside the NodeEditor, it would be possible to render the generated objects, using a particular style, just in order to better highlight them ?
added Style property in the Output node

Pilou
>>An Alert Message when we press "New" ?
Maybe in the next beta release..
12 May 2016   [#289] In reply to [#287]
@Sharif
Why not share your new nodes ?

Show messages:  1-9  …  210-229  230-249  250-269  270-289  290-309  310-329  330-349  …  910-912