MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: file extension association on macOS

From: pressure (PEER)
11 Sep   [#1]
Is there a way to associate MoI with all of the various filetypes that it's capable of opening on macOS? In other words, how do I get MoI to appear in the list Open With / Recommended Applications when right-clicking on a file?

There are files like SVG and PDF that sometimes I want to open with MoI, but usually open with another program. So, I don't want to set those extensions to always open with MoI. Doing File > Open in MoI is bad because that closes the 3DM I have open rather than launching another instance of MoI. It also requires me to navigate in the Finder window created by MoI rather than a Finder window that's already open.

- Peer
From: Michael Gibson
11 Sep   [#2] In reply to [#1]
Hi Peer, does the 2nd answer here with the Get Info / Change All do any good:

https://superuser.com/questions/222065/how-can-i-add-a-program-to-the-open-with-menu-on-a-mac

Those file type handlers on Mac can be difficult to figure out, they get stored in the Launch Services database and get populated automatically when moving apps into the /Applications folder.

If you want to try to reset the database search for stuff like "Launch Services", or the lsregister command line program.

- Michael
From: pressure (PEER)
11 Sep   [#3] In reply to [#2]
No, Change All is no good because that changes MoI to the default program. I want another program to remain the default.

I guess I'll try fiddling with Info.plist or lsregister. Too bad Info.plist doesn't natively contain the supported extensions.
From: Michael Gibson
11 Sep   [#4] In reply to [#3]
Hi Peer,

re:
> Too bad Info.plist doesn't natively contain the supported extensions.

I'm scared to put other file types in Moi's Info.plist because I've ran into problems when more than one app is registered with the same file types.

If you want to add them in for .svg or .pdf I think they go under CFBundleDocumentTypes .

- Michael
From: pressure (PEER)
11 Sep   [#5] In reply to [#4]
Thank you for explaining why the other file types aren't in Info.plist