MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: Object doesn't export cleanly in STP

From: Cuboctahedron
8 Sep   [#1]
Hi Michael,

I've got an object that exports cleanly in STL, but when I export it in STP, the Bambu lab slicer gets very unhappy — it can repair the object, but the repair corrupts the geometry. I'm used to seeing normaling issues, but those have always repaired correctly.

Attachments:
testcase.3dm
testcase.stp


From: Michael Gibson
8 Sep   [#2] In reply to [#1]
Hi Cuboctahedron, it may not like some slivery surfaces, see attached file.

What happens if before you export from Moi, select the object and run the ShrinkTrimmedSrf command (type the tab key, then type ShrinkTrimmedSrf then Enter?

I'll see if I can make a version with those slivers removed by mirroring the other half over.

- Michael

Attachments:
testcase_slivers.3dm


From: Michael Gibson
8 Sep   [#3] In reply to [#1]
Try this one where the slivery faces have been removed.

- Michael

Attachments:
testcase2.3dm


From: Cuboctahedron
9 Sep   [#4] In reply to [#2]
ShrinkTrimmedSrf didn't do it. I don't have a way of re-exporting the geometry after import to Bambu labs, but attached is what it looks like. It's specifically complaining about open edges.

Image Attachments:
Screenshot 2026-09-09 133716.png 


From: Michael Gibson
9 Sep   [#5] In reply to [#4]
Hi Cuboctahedron, did you test with the testcase2.3dm file above?

- Michael
From: Cuboctahedron
11 Sep   [#6] In reply to [#5]
Yes, same issue and result.
From: Barry-H
11 Sep   [#7] In reply to [#6]
Hi,
have redone your model and it imports into Ideamaker slicer as stp file with no errors.
Hopefully its correct.
Cheers
Barry

Attachments:
ABHTest stp.zip


From: Cuboctahedron
16 Sep   [#8] In reply to [#7]
Yeah, I already got a version of it that works — I'm sharing this to see if there's an underlying bug in the export routines that can get squashed.
From: Cuboctahedron
16 Sep   [#9] In reply to [#7]
But thank you!