MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: Group Therapy

Show messages: All  1-3  4-7

22 Jul   [#4] In reply to [#3]
Hi MindSet,

re:
> Might there be some way to merge groups?

The Ungroup function can be used to merge groups if you have sub objects selected when you trigger it. It will merge the contents of the sub group up into the parent.

So for example if you have 2 groups "GroupA" and "GroupB" and you want to merge the contents of GroupB into GroupA.

Select GroupB, then click on GroupA's name and choose "Assign selection here" (or right click on it which is a shortcut for assign)

Select GroupB which is now a child of GroupA and use "Ungroup". The contents of GroupB will be merged up into GroupA and the now empty GroupB will be removed.

- Michael
28 Jul   [#5] In reply to [#2]
> Yes, that's the intended behavior, if you have a group selected then an edit works on the whole group including hidden sub objects.
> That's the same behavior as other programs that use groups, like Affinity Designer or Inkscape for example.

Well, I'll have to disagree with Affinity Designer and the whole rest of the world because it is an opaque convention, especially to the uninitiated.
Mio has a smoother learning curve than most every other software. That's a big reason it so beloved (IMHO).
29 Jul   [#6] In reply to [#5]
Hi MindSet, in the future I want to have an additional type of hierarchical organizing tool - "folders" - which could have some different behavior than groups.

For groups though, it's safest for me to try and follow common behavior that is uniform across many apps.

If a group did not transform hidden sub objects when the parent group is moved, it would surprise other people that the group was not maintaining its structure.

Another related thing - say you have a box and hide some of the faces. If you then drag the box somewhere are you expecting the hidden faces would be left behind?

- Michael
29 Jul   [#7] In reply to [#6]
Michael - You are SO Good!
Thank you for explaining.

Show messages: All  1-3  4-7