MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: When using Flow, target surface splits

Show messages: All  1-8  9-15

11 Jul   [#9]
Hi All, so I've now reached the point of flowing the lattice work on the solid ring:

The next step I'm trying to figure out is how to substitute the top of the solid ring with the lattice so one can see right through it. I tried various Booleans but none produce the results I'm looking for. Essentially, I'd like the lattice shape to be the top of the ring and seemlessly merge/blend into the rest of the bottom section of the ring.

Please could someone explain how I can go about this?

One more thing! In the next screenshot, you'll see there are gaps in the actual flow. I tried to use the 'Uncurve' script to matche the width and length of the ring curves so they flow accurately along the edges of the ring but that didn't seem to work. Any guidance on this would be fantastic, thank you!

I ran out of attachment space, so here is the 3dm file:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1EUmq0Yrnm36hqdAlBodhls02OCctsn-q/view?usp=sharing

Many thanks indeed!
Gunter
11 Jul   [#10] In reply to [#9]
HI gunter

LIKE THIS

moi无法进行太多对象的布尔运算,因此最好不要使用孔洞进行布尔运算,而是将整个装饰复制一份,隐藏,并对整体进行布尔,删除多余部分,显示。
(Moi cannot perform Boolean operations on too many objects, so it is best not to use holes for Boolean operations. Instead, copy the entire decoration, hide one of them, and perform Boolean operations on the whole, delete the excess parts, and then display all.)

Attachments:
Bulbous lattice ring ok.3dm

Image Attachments:
zz.gif 

11 Jul   [#11] In reply to [#9]
Hi Gunter,

Is this what you want?

I deleted the outside faces of the solid lattice so all that remained was the holes (surfaces):

Then I selected the solid ring and choose the hole surfaces as the cutter. Had to wait maybe 30 seconds for the boolean to finish, but that left me with this:

And then I deleted the highlighted fragments.

- Peer

Image Attachments:
after boolean diff.png  cutter.png  finished ring.png 

11 Jul   [#12] In reply to [#10]
Suiyan, thank you! That's very helpful indeed!

11 Jul   [#13] In reply to [#11]
Hey Peer, Yes, this is exactly what I'm after, thank you very much!

11 Jul   [#14] In reply to [#12]
别客气,我想你该对最终效果有更清晰的认识。就是到底哪些部分应该被布尔,哪些部分被保留。这种孔的造型最好的方式应该是在还是平面时拉伸那些孔的封闭曲线(双侧),让这些柱体高度完全能穿透戒指圈的目标实体,然后对它们进行流动,使这些柱体流动至戒指圈的目标体→布尔。

这可以最大程度的简化并且避免布尔出现错误结果,虽然这次的布尔很顺利。

(Don't mention it, I think you should have a clearer understanding of the final effect. Which parts should be Boolean and which parts should be retained. The best way to shape these holes is to stretch the closed curves (on both sides) of the holes when they are still flat, so that the height of these pillars can fully penetrate the target entity of the ring ring, and then flow them so that these pillars flow to the target entity of the ring ring → Boolean.
This can simplify and avoid errors in Boolean results to the greatest extent possible, although the Boolean process went smoothly this time)
11 Jul   [#15] In reply to [#14]
Thank you Suiyan, yes, this is exactly what I tried to do and it helped.

The other thing I experimented with was rather than flowing the lattice, I extracted the diamond shapes from the lattice and extruded those. Then Flowed those onto the ring and then Boolean difference.

It's fun to try different methods!

Thanks again!
Gunter

Show messages: All  1-8  9-15