MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: Meshing Options Quads & Triangles

3 Jul   [#1]
I just tried the poly export feature in MOI. In the 'Quads & Triangles' mode i noticed that the quad mesh is forced onto the connecting edge. Is it possible to avoid that?

Here is a screenshot of an exported Mesh:

The Vertex Points and Lines in question are selected/marked in red.

If this turns into a feature request.
Would it not make sense to have a checkbox to have the last line that adds the connecting vertex to be removed?
There are two Vertex points that seem to fall into the threshold where no additional Vertex point is connected already, maybe this can be applied to every line instead of forcing a new Point.

Nick

Image Attachments:
moi3d_avoid_creating_ending_connections.png 

3 Jul   [#2] In reply to [#1]
Hi Nick,

re:
> In the 'Quads & Triangles' mode i noticed that the quad mesh is forced onto
> the connecting edge. Is it possible to avoid that?

Probably not, because it's likely that those vertices that you indicate are added in to the edge tessellation so that it meets the angle value.

But it's hard to give feedback on what's going on just by looking at a screenshot. Can you please post the .3dm model file for the object you are meshing so I can look at the actual geometry?

Thanks, - Michael
4 Jul   [#3] In reply to [#2]
It's kinda hard to articulate sorry.
it would be great i the last lines of the quad surface tesselation/subdivision that create the connecting vertex points could be removed.

it's nothing related to a project, i'm just testing. i uploaded a simple test scene.

Nick

Attachments:
cylinder_chamfer_example.zip

Image Attachments:
moi3d_avoid_creating_ending_connections_with_settings.png 

4 Jul   [#4] In reply to [#3]
Hi Nick, so you mean that you want the polygon edges between those red dots to not be there so those would be quads instead of triangles?

Currently it only tries to make quads for polygons that are grid aligned to the UV space.

If it tried to make quads in the spots you indicate, that would probably have somewhat odd shaping in other spots as well like here:

There would probably be other cases where quads like that would be non convex as well.

Note that for your example here if you set "Divide larger than" to only apply to curved surfaces and not planes you can get a result like this:

- Michael

Image Attachments:
nick_quads1.jpg  nick_quads2.jpg  nick_quads3.jpg 

4 Jul   [#5] In reply to [#4]
Thank for the detailed reply.

Yes, because it is the top surface (in this case) that adds additional vertex points to the evenly spaced curved surface.
(I don't know how this can be evaluated with math.)

The curved surface marked bellow would have to be prioritized since it defines the evenly spaced curve points.
This screenshot also shows the expected result for the mentioned area.

The 'Curved' option unfortunately looses the top quad tesselation.

This side points must have already some kind of threshold to not add a new point since it be too close to an existing one or match the coordinates exactly.

Nick

Image Attachments:
moi3d_clean_connection.png  moi3d_surface_defines_the points.png 

4 Jul   [#6] In reply to [#5]
Hi Nick,

re:
> The curved surface marked bellow would have to be prioritized since it defines
> the evenly spaced curve points.
> This screenshot also shows the expected result for the mentioned area.

Unfortunately the mesher does not currently work in an order dependent way like this with some faces having priority over others.

If you change it to Output: N-gons, you can see that the vertices you don't like are getting added because of the top plane being divided (because Divide larger than "All" is set).

If you want to get all quads on the top face the best way is to use a retopology process in a polygon mesh modeling app.

- Michael

Image Attachments:
nick_quads4.jpg 

12 Jul   [#7] In reply to [#6]
I believe using vanilla Blender I may have resolved your issue.

I downloaded your 3dm model and imported into Moi3D 4.0
And exported to an OBJ with the following settings.

Image Attachments:
MoiExport.JPG 

12 Jul   [#8] In reply to [#7]
Imported into Blender 3.6.4 LTS

Next I selected the top ngon face and did an inset on it.

Image Attachments:
00-import.JPG  01-InsetFace.JPG 

12 Jul   [#9] In reply to [#8]
After doing the inset, I deleted the now smaller ngon face.

Image Attachments:
02-deleteFace.JPG 

12 Jul   [#10] In reply to [#9]
I then did a edge selection of the new hole.

Using Blender's gridFill I closed the hole with what looks to me, to be all quads.

Image Attachments:
03-EdgeLoop.JPG  04-GridFill.JPG 

12 Jul   [#11] In reply to [#10]
The final result in Blender. It took me a couple of minutes in vanilla Blender to do this.

Blender is a free and very handy app to learn and use.

I hope this achieves what you want.

Cheers from Nova Scotia.

Image Attachments:
05-Final.JPG 

12 Jul   [#12] In reply to [#11]
Also in Blender I used the commercial plugin, Quad Remesher which is usually my goto app for retopo work but it failed on your model and was not able to produce any acceptable output.

Next I imported your model into 3D Coat 2024.24 and converted to an voxel object and using the auto retopo I was able to convert, but the mesh is too dense with a count of 7,000.

Image Attachments:
06-3DC.JPG  07-3DC-in-blender.JPG 

12 Jul   [#13] In reply to [#12]
Next I exported the object I retopp'd in 3DCoat into Blender and ran Quad Remesher of the 3DC object. I set the target for 500 quads and it gave me a remeshed object of 1200 quads.

It was must simpler and quicker to remodel the top in Blender.

Image Attachments:
08-Quadrem01.JPG  08-Quadrem02.JPG  09-Quadrem02.JPG