MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: Problems with loft and boolean in a faceted object

28 Jun   [#1]
Hi All,

I'm making this faceted gemstone with a somewhat unusual shape. I'm not happy with the way the geometric section lofts to the more rounded section:

I was wondering if there's another option to lofting?

Also, after the loft, I can't seem to boolean the two joined sections:

Clearly I'm doing something wrong.

Any help is much appreciated!
Gunter
28 Jun   [#2] In reply to [#1]
HI gunter,首先你的上半部分是join srf+soild,所以不能布尔运算(First of all, your upper part is a join srf+soil, so it cannot perform Boolean operations)

放样效果很不理想,我想可能是两方面原因,我发现你最上端的线框,线被分为两部分的,你可能直接选择了三个部分的线进行了放样,这样在moi是会出现无法形成理想结果。
(The loft effect is not ideal, and I think it may be due to two reasons. I found that the line at the top of your wireframe is divided into two parts. You may have directly selected three parts of the line for loft, which may result in an unsatisfactory result in Moi.)

还有可能你所绘制的线框和你的实体的上表面边缘,不是完全重合的(It is also possible that the wireframe you draw does not completely overlap with the upper surface edge of your entity)

应该这样选择边缘,使用join,再看它们的是不是封闭的曲线(You should choose the edges this way, use the join, and then check if their curves are closed)

放样,如果结果是实体,那么可以进行布尔合并,结果很好(loft, If the result is an entity, then Boolean union can be performed, and the result is good)

对于这种切割模型,迈克应该会推荐这种方式。挤压形成达到高度的实体,然后将用于需要切割的封闭曲线挤压成工具实体,进行布尔差集
(For this cutting model, Mike should recommend this method. Squeeze to form a solid that reaches a height, then squeeze the closed curve used for cutting into a tool solid, and perform Boolean difference set)

Attachments:
Trio diamonds soild.3dm

Image Attachments:
1.png  2.png  3.png  4.png  5.png  6.png  8.png 

28 Jun   [#3] In reply to [#1]
You have not used this very easy no failed technic! ;)

http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=11430.5
28 Jun   [#4] In reply to [#3]
You're absolutely right, forgot about that! Thank you Pilou!

28 Jun   [#5] In reply to [#2]
Hi Suiyan,

Thank you very much for taking the time to explain this!

28 Jun   [#6] In reply to [#1]
Hi Gunter,

re:
> I'm making this faceted gemstone with a somewhat unusual shape. I'm not happy
> with the way the geometric section lofts to the more rounded section:

Could you maybe describe a little about what it is that you're not happy with?

One thing you may want to do is instead of doing the loft between 2 long curves instead divide up the smooth curve and do a separate loft for each separate straight piece to a curved piece. You'll then be controlling how the sharp to smooth shapes merge together instead of using the default merging.

> I was wondering if there's another option to lofting?

Well if you put in lines from each sharp point down to the smooth curve or do it in sections you could also do sweep or network instead of loft.

- Michael
28 Jun   [#7] In reply to [#5]
最可能的原因:直接使用封闭的线框loft效果不好。结果:join srf。construct→planer,一圈edge→join—close curve→loft=solid。这可能是moi需要一个判断线在同一平面,因为线框=点对点join形成,不涉及是否为平面作为判断条件。
(The most likely reason is that using a closed wireframe loft directly does not have a good effect. Result: Join SRF. Construct → planner, circle edge → join → close curve → loft=solid. This may be because moi needs a criterion to determine whether the line is in the same plane, as the wireframe=point-to-point joint formation does not involve whether it is a plane as the criterion.)

所以,如果您经常制作宝石状模型,并习惯使用loft优化的流程增加:planer→edge→join—close curve→loft=solid。
(So, if you frequently create gem shaped models and are accustomed to using the loft,optimization process to increase: planner → edge → join → close curve → loft=solid.)
moi是简易的3D软件,因此对元素的判定过程,不像工业设计软件那样自动化。工业设计软件中close curve and planer=在loft命令选项中选择一圈edge or curve,无论它们原本是否是close curve。moi planer close curve =curve→join—close curve→planer→edge to close curve
(Moi is a simple 3D software, so the process of determining elements is not as automated as industrial design software. In industrial design software, close curve and planner=Select one week edge or curve in the loft command option, regardless of whether they were originally close curves. moi planer close curve =curve→join—close curve→planer→edge to close curve )