MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: Bending objects / surfaces

26 Jun   [#1]
Hi All,

I'm trying to bend a simple elliptical disc to the curvature of a ring.

I tried selecting the disc to 'flow' along the upper curvature of the ring, but that does not seem to work.

Could anyone please suggest a way to do this?

Many thanks!
Gunter

Attachments:
Elipse ring.3dm

26 Jun   [#2] In reply to [#1]
Rotate first the circle by 90° else the shrinking will be on the right
Hide all curve who don't participate to the Flow
Draw a line
Et voilà :)
If i have good understood your problem - that is not sure! :)

26 Jun   [#3]
As Frenchy explained, "Flow" is the way you could use.
But you have to understand how it has to be used.

The first step is to read the command reference because Flow use curves or surfaces for source and target.
If you use curves, you must use a curve for both source and target.
And if you use surfaces you must use surfaces for both source and target.

http://moi3d.com/4.0/docs/moi_command_reference8.htm#flow

Warning, sometimes surface has to be use and sometimes curves are better way.

Use Flow, practice it, practice it and practice it again !
Because it's a very important tool in MoI toolbox.

Have fun using MoI !
26 Jun   [#4] In reply to [#2]
Pilou, fantastic, thank you for the quick solution! Although I wasn't looking for the stretched version, I now know how to do it - I just unticked 'stretch'!

26 Jun   [#5] In reply to [#3]
Phiro, thank you for the clarification, that's very helpful!

30 Jun   [#6]
Hey All,

Thanks to all of your help, I managed to dome the lattice work on the ring as under:

As you can see, the lattice work is stretched and the so the diamond shapes are stretched too.

How would I go about making the curvature length the same but keeping the lattice unstretched?

Would it be make more sense to flow the perimeter of the lattice on the ring first and only then create the lattice from scratch? Or, should I make the perimeter on the curvature of the ring from scratch and not use the flow command?

I tried flow but with projection on curved surface but I'm getting aberrations - pls see attached screenshot.

I'm trying yet another way by building a profile of the top latticed section but am not getting very far- see attached screenshot.

Many thanks All!

Attachments:
Bombay ring lattice v2.3dm

30 Jun   [#7] In reply to [#6]
I have this result with your file!
And exactly same result if i take as start surface the Botton Ellipse / Rectangle
Surface / Surface
I have not your dramatic streching result!

is that result wanted ?
30 Jun   [#8] In reply to [#6]
Hi gunter,

re:
> I tried flow but with projection on curved surface but I'm getting aberrations - pls see attached screenshot.

Projective flow will send out rays along the surface normals of your base plane and try to intersect the rays with the target object.

If some of these rays do not intersect with the target object you can get the kind of aberrations you show there.

To use projective flow mode you would need to make your target object extend to be wider so that every point on the base plane will hit the target object.

- Michael
30 Jun   [#9] In reply to [#6]
Hi gunter,

re:
> As you can see, the lattice work is stretched and the so the diamond shapes are stretched too.
>
> How would I go about making the curvature length the same but keeping the lattice unstretched?

You've got to be careful about where you click with the mouse on both the base surface and the target surface.

The stretched result is due to having this short edge:

Being mapped tot his long edge:

Instead you want the flow to match the short edge on the base to the short edge on the target:

The matching is determined by the pick point on each surface when you select it. You need to pick the point along each edge but a little ways in from the corner point. Don't pick right at the corner because it will take the closest edge to your pick and right on the corner does not control which edge is closest very well.

But also don't click right in the middle of the edge either because the closest end of the edge to your pick is also significant for matching the start or end of the edge to each other.

So you want to pick like this, on the edge, not too far away from the corner but not right at the corner:

And on the target surface like this:

- Michael

Image Attachments:
gunter_flow1.jpg  gunter_flow2.jpg  gunter_flow3.jpg  gunter_flow4.jpg  gunter_flow5.jpg 

30 Jun   [#10] In reply to [#6]
HI gunter

可以更简单些,像这样。(It can be simpler, like this.)

使用宝石的边缘通过PLANER生成完美贴合的平面,并指定颜色,以便在流动中作为源头平面去选中它。流动没有什么秘密,就是源对象和源曲面完全贴合,那么流动后就跟目标曲面贴合。剩下的只需要确定目标曲面在整个戒指圈曲面中占比多少。(Use the edges of the gemstone to generate a perfectly fitted plane through PLANER, and specify the color to select it as the source plane in the flow. There is no secret to flow, it is that the source object and the source surface fit together, so after flowing, it will fit with the target surface. The rest only needs to determine the proportion of the target surface in the entire ring surface.)

Image Attachments:
1.png  2.png 

1 Jul   [#11]
Thank you so much for all your input, that too on a Sunday! I'm happy to report that it works great!