MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: V5 beta Apr-13-2023 available now

Show messages:  1-9  …  110-129  130-149  150-169  170-189  190-209  210-217

19 Dec 2023   [#170] In reply to [#169]
Hi Lewis, I'm sorry but it will be pretty difficult to update to a new .3dm importer with every new release of Rhino.

Currently it's not planned. But I have made a free conversion utility that can convert Rhino v6 or v7 .3dm files into a v5 .3dm file that can then be opened with MoI.

It's available here:
http://moi3d.com/resources#Rhino6/7_3DM_file_format_to_Rhino5_3DM_file_format_(MOI3D_compatible)_converter

- Michael
19 Dec 2023   [#171]
Hi Michael,

Thanks for quick reply.
I just tried this converter and I have 2 problems with it.

1. it just dumps _v5 file, no save as or progress bar (weird but ok i can live with that).
2. It's not loaded completely (I'm trying to convert chair 3d model and i got only frame but soft cushioning is not visible in Moi after conversion). So basically moi is not opening it correctly after conversion or conversion is bad.

I can send you model if you wish to test ?
19 Dec 2023   [#172] In reply to [#171]
Hi Lewis,

re:
> 1. it just dumps _v5 file, no save as or progress bar (weird but ok i can live with that).

Right, that's because it takes a lot of work to make functionality like progress bars, this is just a bare bones utility program that isn't focused on having any UI.

> 2. It's not loaded completely (I'm trying to convert chair 3d model and i got only frame
> but soft cushioning is not visible in Moi after conversion). So basically moi is not opening
> it correctly after conversion or conversion is bad.

Most likely the soft cushioning is some kind of object type that MoI does not support like a polygon mesh object.

Moi only reads NURBS and annotation type objects from .3dm files, not every kind of thing that Rhino can store in them.

> I can send you model if you wish to test ?

Sure you can e-mail it to me at moi@moi3d.com, you may need to use a file sharing service if it's very large.

But it's very likely that it's polygon mesh data that MoI is not designed to work on.

- Michael
20 Dec 2023   [#173]
Hi Michael,i have question about adding new ACIS core,it will be help to fastly delete fillets without losing the original shape before fillet?

And if there is such a function, when will it be released? at the very end when the ACIS "press pull" function will be added?
20 Dec 2023   [#174] In reply to [#173]
Hi blackboard,

re:
> Hi Michael,i have question about adding new ACIS core,it will be help to fastly delete fillets
> without losing the original shape before fillet?

I think so but I have not had a chance to evaluate that particular area yet.

Some ACIS functions are separated out into optional modules which I am not licensing.

> And if there is such a function, when will it be released? at the very end when the
> ACIS "press pull" function will be added?

I don't know exactly when that area will be released, but possibly not until MoI v6, the main target functions for using ACIS in the MoI v5 timeframe are fillet, chamfer, shelling, offset and face transforms.

- Michael
21 Dec 2023   [#175] In reply to [#174]
Hi Micheal, this functionality shown in the video below is also included in the license package you have for ACIS for Moi3D?

21 Dec 2023   [#176] In reply to [#175]
Hi pafurijaz,

re:
> Hi Micheal, this functionality shown in the video below is also included in the license package you have for ACIS for Moi3D?

Nope.

- Michael
21 Dec 2023   [#177]
Hi Micheal, when version 5 will be released, which 3dm version of Rhinoceros also be able to open?
21 Dec 2023   [#178] In reply to [#177]
Hi pafurijaz,

re:
> Hi Micheal, when version 5 will be released,

Sorry, I don't know yet.

> which 3dm version of Rhinoceros also be able to open?

It will open v5 .3dm files.

- Michael
31 Dec 2023   [#179] In reply to [#178]
Hi Michael,

Just wanted to write a little reminder if you would be so kind to please add the Centroid Triangulation option as a checkbox to MoI's export dialog, instead of having it hidden away in the MoI.ini file.

Here's the discussion about the subject:

https://moi3d.com/forum/messages.php?webtag=MOI&msg=8109.1

Many thanks!
31 Dec 2023   [#180] In reply to [#179]
Hi Metin, one reason I have not done that yet is that I'm trying pretty hard to prevent the UI in MoI from getting bloated and complex as naturally tends to occur.

So I often hesitate and tend to be pretty conservative about accumulating too much stuff in the UI.

One thing that could help is if I could remove any control for meshing which is not really being used, perhaps "Aspect ratio limit" ?

Thanks, - Michael
1 Jan   [#181] In reply to [#180]
Hi Michael,

I understand.

In my humble opinion, Centroid Triangulation is a significant option for meshing, particularly in case of higher polygon counts. It often allows meshes to be ready for sculpting and/or deformation in Blender, ZBrush or 3D-Coat without further retopology.

I almost never use Aspect Ratio Limit, so I'd be fine with seeing that removed and having the Centroid Triangulation option instead.

I do always use all other options in the export dialog, except for Aspect Ratio Limit.

Thanks!
2 Jan   [#182]
Hi Michael,

Re: Deform to Sphere, Deleted Posts 11310.10 and 11311.11.

Original Question...

I'm trying to understand why in beta Version 5b...when you click Done after Deform-Flow, the Flow process just starts calculating again. In Version 4 the command stops immediately. That is confusing to me. I'm experimenting with your Bell Flat_flow.3dm file.

Is that a bug or is that just the way it works?

Wm
2 Jan   [#183] In reply to [#182]
Hi Wm,

re:
> I'm trying to understand why in beta Version 5b...when you click Done after Deform-Flow,
> the Flow process just starts calculating again. In Version 4 the command stops immediately.
> That is confusing to me. I'm experimenting with your Bell Flat_flow.3dm file.

The different behavior from v4 looks like is caused by the introduction of Groups in v5, there is some processing that happens to support groups which as a side effect triggers a final update even if there was a previous update.

> Is that a bug or is that just the way it works?

I guess it's a bug since the final update for processing groups shouldn't need to be done if there are not any groups being transformed.

It's not a particularly harmful bug though, it may run the risk of messing up group handling to fiddle with it.

Support for groups involved some pretty big changes throughout the system.

- Michael
3 Jan   [#184] In reply to [#183]
Michael,

Thank you for the explanation. I was just curious and didn't want this to go unnoticed

Regards,
Wm
5 Jan   [#185]
Hi,i think i found bug,if i fillet acis tube,he do wrong shanding

Attachments:
tube.stp

Image Attachments:
photo_2024-01-05_15-02-08.jpg  photo_2024-01-05_15-04-53.jpg 

5 Jan   [#186] In reply to [#185]
Hi blackboard, thanks for reporting this fillet bug, it seems to be a bug in ACIS in converting an n-sided fillet vertex blend specialized surface into a generic NURBS surface.

I'll need to send the bug in to ACIS, in the meantime I should be able to make an alternate type of conversion for these areas like in the attached version.

Thanks, - Michael

Attachments:
tube2.3dm

8 Jan   [#187]
Hi Michael,

Open large MOI file via network shared drive hang in scanning mode. I work via a QNAP fileserver as I have various machines setup for design and machining. Recently upgraded to December release BETA and I now get this scanning hang issue - was never a problem before opening large files over the network. If I copy the file to local location file opens without scanning no problem.

any thoughts

Alex

Image Attachments:
file size.png  scanning.png 

8 Jan   [#188] In reply to [#187]
Hi Alex, there hasn't been any changes in file loading for quite some time.

Did you recently change any of your network infrastructure?

I don't think there is much I can do about network access being slow, that's pretty much out of the app's control.

- Michael
10 Jan   [#189]
Hi Michael, I rolled back MOI to V4 and no problem in opening files across network. I have 2 other slave workstations 1 with win 10 other win 11 I never updated MOI on those running v4 and files open across network no problem. On the QNAP file server I havent done any firmware upgrades on that either for quite some time. For now Ill keep working in MOIv4 - maybe some security permissions as the program is beta? not sure

Image Attachments:
moi beta.png  moi4.png 

Show messages:  1-9  …  110-129  130-149  150-169  170-189  190-209  210-217