MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: V5 beta Apr-13-2023 available now

Show messages:  1-20  …  101-120  121-140  141-160  161-180  181-200  201-215

22 Oct 2023   [#161] In reply to [#160]
Hi prince, sorry no there isn't any new surfacing with continuity functions expected for MoI v5.

MoI is not really focused on that type of "fill things in patch by patch" style of NURBS modeling because it's a rather advanced and finicky area.

You'll need to use some other CAD program for that type of surfacing.

But usually when you want things to be continuous it is better to make one large extended surface instead of separate pieces. Either that or the other alternative is to do that type of model as a sub-d model and convert it into continuous surfaces using the Subd import converter.

- Michael
22 Oct 2023   [#162] In reply to [#161]
Hello
Thank you Micheal
I used to do some CARS in blender , but working inside moi is just waaaaaaaaay better for me than other software
Importing subd is also a good idea for better precision in some operations like boolean
Thank you again
have a good night
7 Nov 2023   [#163]
Hello Michael,

Will Export to 3MF be available in V5?

It sure would be helpful for additive creators like me. Thanks!

All my best-
MOI since V1
7 Nov 2023   [#164] In reply to [#163]
Hello,

re:
> Will Export to 3MF be available in V5?

Probably not for v5 but I have it on my radar to look into.

- Michael
25 Nov 2023   [#165] In reply to [#161]
Hi!Michael,I quite agreeMoI is not really focused on that type of "fill things in patch by patch" style of NURBS modeling because it's a rather advanced and finicky area.But usually when you want things to be continuous it is better to make one large extended surface instead of separate pieces. Either that or the other alternative is to do that type of model as a sub-d model and convert it into continuous surfaces using the Subd import converter.It is very necessary for beginners to supplement the problem, can you do a tutorial or recommended tutorial on expanding the surface or sub-d method, I find many on the Internet are fast forward, novice completely unable to understand and learn this kind of supplement skills.I think moi is very good, mainly the problem of multilateral complement and surface continuity, which has been bothering me.
25 Nov 2023   [#166] In reply to [#165]
Hi c3g,

re:
> can you do a tutorial or recommended tutorial on expanding the surface or sub-d method

There is a good introduction video to how sub-d works here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckOTl2GcS-E

- Michael
29 Nov 2023   [#167] In reply to [#1]
Hi Michael.
Any news on the release date of V5?
29 Nov 2023   [#168] In reply to [#167]
Hi cyanayc,

re:
> Any news on the release date of V5?

Maybe right near the end of the year, not 100% sure though.

- Michael
19 Dec 2023   [#169]
Hi Michael,

Is there a chance to update 3dm importer in Moi ?
I'm getting more and more *.3dm v7 file formats from Rhino and i can't open them in Moi which is still stuck at v5 of 3dm file format :(.

Thanks
19 Dec 2023   [#170] In reply to [#169]
Hi Lewis, I'm sorry but it will be pretty difficult to update to a new .3dm importer with every new release of Rhino.

Currently it's not planned. But I have made a free conversion utility that can convert Rhino v6 or v7 .3dm files into a v5 .3dm file that can then be opened with MoI.

It's available here:
http://moi3d.com/resources#Rhino6/7_3DM_file_format_to_Rhino5_3DM_file_format_(MOI3D_compatible)_converter

- Michael
19 Dec 2023   [#171]
Hi Michael,

Thanks for quick reply.
I just tried this converter and I have 2 problems with it.

1. it just dumps _v5 file, no save as or progress bar (weird but ok i can live with that).
2. It's not loaded completely (I'm trying to convert chair 3d model and i got only frame but soft cushioning is not visible in Moi after conversion). So basically moi is not opening it correctly after conversion or conversion is bad.

I can send you model if you wish to test ?
19 Dec 2023   [#172] In reply to [#171]
Hi Lewis,

re:
> 1. it just dumps _v5 file, no save as or progress bar (weird but ok i can live with that).

Right, that's because it takes a lot of work to make functionality like progress bars, this is just a bare bones utility program that isn't focused on having any UI.

> 2. It's not loaded completely (I'm trying to convert chair 3d model and i got only frame
> but soft cushioning is not visible in Moi after conversion). So basically moi is not opening
> it correctly after conversion or conversion is bad.

Most likely the soft cushioning is some kind of object type that MoI does not support like a polygon mesh object.

Moi only reads NURBS and annotation type objects from .3dm files, not every kind of thing that Rhino can store in them.

> I can send you model if you wish to test ?

Sure you can e-mail it to me at moi@moi3d.com, you may need to use a file sharing service if it's very large.

But it's very likely that it's polygon mesh data that MoI is not designed to work on.

- Michael
20 Dec 2023   [#173]
Hi Michael,i have question about adding new ACIS core,it will be help to fastly delete fillets without losing the original shape before fillet?

And if there is such a function, when will it be released? at the very end when the ACIS "press pull" function will be added?
20 Dec 2023   [#174] In reply to [#173]
Hi blackboard,

re:
> Hi Michael,i have question about adding new ACIS core,it will be help to fastly delete fillets
> without losing the original shape before fillet?

I think so but I have not had a chance to evaluate that particular area yet.

Some ACIS functions are separated out into optional modules which I am not licensing.

> And if there is such a function, when will it be released? at the very end when the
> ACIS "press pull" function will be added?

I don't know exactly when that area will be released, but possibly not until MoI v6, the main target functions for using ACIS in the MoI v5 timeframe are fillet, chamfer, shelling, offset and face transforms.

- Michael
21 Dec 2023   [#175] In reply to [#174]
Hi Micheal, this functionality shown in the video below is also included in the license package you have for ACIS for Moi3D?

21 Dec 2023   [#176] In reply to [#175]
Hi pafurijaz,

re:
> Hi Micheal, this functionality shown in the video below is also included in the license package you have for ACIS for Moi3D?

Nope.

- Michael
21 Dec 2023   [#177]
Hi Micheal, when version 5 will be released, which 3dm version of Rhinoceros also be able to open?
21 Dec 2023   [#178] In reply to [#177]
Hi pafurijaz,

re:
> Hi Micheal, when version 5 will be released,

Sorry, I don't know yet.

> which 3dm version of Rhinoceros also be able to open?

It will open v5 .3dm files.

- Michael
31 Dec 2023   [#179] In reply to [#178]
Hi Michael,

Just wanted to write a little reminder if you would be so kind to please add the Centroid Triangulation option as a checkbox to MoI's export dialog, instead of having it hidden away in the MoI.ini file.

Here's the discussion about the subject:

https://moi3d.com/forum/messages.php?webtag=MOI&msg=8109.1

Many thanks!
31 Dec 2023   [#180] In reply to [#179]
Hi Metin, one reason I have not done that yet is that I'm trying pretty hard to prevent the UI in MoI from getting bloated and complex as naturally tends to occur.

So I often hesitate and tend to be pretty conservative about accumulating too much stuff in the UI.

One thing that could help is if I could remove any control for meshing which is not really being used, perhaps "Aspect ratio limit" ?

Thanks, - Michael

Show messages:  1-20  …  101-120  121-140  141-160  161-180  181-200  201-215