I'm considering switching back to Rhino v6 or v5 from v7. Though v7 is amazing it grinds my gears that the Copy-Paste functionality between MoI and Rhino is broken. Michael, do we have a change of making this function working again? It's really a bumper in my workflow (of course you can always have different versions of Rhino installed at the same time, but still).
re:
> It was itself converted from another format (can’t remember which)
> but must have failed there.
It doesn't look like the conversion failed, both of the .3dm files contain data in them but it
is in the form of triangle mesh data, not CAD surfaces and solids.
MOI is not designed to work on triangle mesh data.
As Michael wrote it always, MoI is not a mesh modeler but a pure NURBS modeler.
To work from meshes in MoI, you have to reverse ingeneer your model.
Based on the model you posted, it's possible to do it because its form is not very complex,
but it requires complete mastery of MoI, its philosophy, and certain functions and/or scripts.
The output will be a true NURBS model that you can then work on with MoI.
It's not simple, and the result won't be perfect, even if it's very close to the original (within a few tenths of a millimeter).
Sorry Michael, you don't like it, but sometimes reverse engeneering could be a solution.
Next you have NURBS model and you can use the fantastic power of MoI on this model.
To explain myself, I downloaded a file in another format (I can't remember which, but possibly obj and then used an online tool that said it could convert to .3dm (albeit v6 or v7) so I could then use the tool above to get it to .3dm v5.
Not truly understanding the internals of these different formats, I didn't realise that the formats were not translatable.
Thanks for your explanation - I have a lot to learn!
You can reload obj files format inside Moi3D but these must be "quadrangulated" and not millions polygons like a Zbrush file! (so big decimate)
then 2 methods in Moi3D
one direct direct native: Subd / Create
one by Max Smirnov : Import OBJ https://moiscript.weebly.com/_importobj.html (advantage you can regulate % of subdivision) ;)