MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: V5 Wish List

Show messages:  1-20  …  501-520  521-540  541-560  561-580  581-600  601

4 Jun   [#561]
The image above inside Vizcom :)
(you can also insert the file OBJ directly inside Vizcom !!!

4 Jun   [#562] In reply to [#556]
Hi Kenmo , re: import SketchUp models - that isn't really feasible because SketchUp files contain only polygon mesh data, not CAD surfaces and solids.

Something that looks like a sphere for example in SketchUp is not a single sphere surface like it is in a CAD program. It's actually made up of a lot of little triangles.

Moi is not designed to work with that type of polygon mesh data, you would need to use a polygon mesh editing program to work on SketchUp models, not MoI.

- Michael
5 Jun   [#563]
Not sure if my minor usability suggestion to show / hide images using object manager was missed (few posts before)

Another feature request “wishing for V5” >

Ability to link commands together to create basic workflows…(I’ve seen this requested elsewhere
a few times)

leading to…

basic macro recorder perhaps with a tree view / step by step interface .

I suggested in an email to Michael if a script recorder had some sort of “live” window showing users the commands syntax it creates it could become quite educational…

Whatever could be introduced in this area of “simple automation” could introduce major usability improvements for users who may use set tools in set orders, again and again…
5 Jun   [#564] In reply to [#563]
Hi stefano,

re:
> Not sure if my minor usability suggestion to show / hide images using
> object manager was missed (few posts before)

I saw it, I didn't know that you needed a reply to it though.

It does make sense - the reason why it's not done that way currently is that the Scene Browser did not exist at the time that the View > Image command was created.

At some point I would like to move it under the scene browser but I don't know when.

> basic macro recorder perhaps with a tree view / step by step interface .

It's also a good idea but will involve quite a lot of work to implement. So it's difficult to know when that might happen.

- Michael
5 Jun   [#565] In reply to [#564]
Cheers for the reply Michael. Have an idea that I might see as a minor improvement for dxf import >

For V5 >

Can you provide an import option to copy dxf object name or dxf
exported layer straight to object list instead of or in addition to styles list…
5 Jun   [#566] In reply to [#565]
Hi stefano,

re:
> Can you provide an import option to copy dxf object name or dxf
> exported layer straight to object list instead of or in addition to styles list…

I'm not sure that there is a concept of an object name in DXF, it is focused on using layers for organizing things.

Do you have an example DXF file that has some object names set in it?

- Michael
5 Jun   [#567] In reply to [#566]
Hi Michael correct maybe to be precise I would be talking dxf entities or shapes or type 8 layers not dxf objects as dxf is the file format

So when these “shapes” or lines and curves are exported out of Corel to moi for example and I’ve got a coloured layer with some shapes inside at moment they seem to appear in moi styles (all as black)

Can we get these into the objects list as an option and ideally coloured ?

Happy to prepare a test file when on pc…
5 Jun   [#568] In reply to [#567]
Hi stefano, there are 2 ways that colors can be set up in DXF files. An entity can have color as an object property or it can have color "BYLAYER" which means it gets color from the layer the object is assigned to.

MoI itself only has the "BYLAYER" method of setting up color where color comes from the style assignment.

There is not any mechanism in MoI for an object to have a color as a direct object property instead of from the style assignment.

So because of this MoI will only read layer colors from DXF and does not try to do anything with entity level colors.

It might be possible to do something about this like if your DXF files have all entities on a layer set with the same entity color. I would need to see an example file to know if that is the case.

But if it is making a DXF that has different entity colors for things on the same layer then that probably won't be compatible with MoI's "By style" only color setup.

One reason why MoI only supports "by style" colors is it simplifies making a materials list when exporting to a rendering file format, the style list can be directly converted to a render materials list.

For object name, I can probably set up a script that will do that after you do an import, I would need an example file to test with.

- Michael
5 Jun   [#569] In reply to [#568]
Hi Michael, attached the files...
Created 2 layer file in coreldraw and exported as ACAD2000 (dxf)
coloured the layers using RGB pallette..

1 of moi files shows you straight dxf import
2 moi file shows you sort of result i'd expect or hope for.

Attachments:
TEST_MOI_2LAYER_COLOURED_DXF_X3_ACAD2000.DXF
TEST_MOI_DXF_IMPORT.3dm
TEST_MOI_DXF_IMPORT_MANUALLY_ADJUSTED.3dm

Image Attachments:
layers in corel (using RGB colours).jpg 

5 Jun   [#570] In reply to [#569]
Hi stefano, for the names set up a shortcut key with this on it and trigger it after you do the DXF import:

script: /* Copy style name to object name */ var objs = moi.geometryDatabase.getSelectedObjects(); var styles = moi.geometryDatabase.getObjectStyles(); for ( var i = 0; i < objs.length; ++i ) { var obj = objs.item(i); if ( obj.styleIndex < styles.length ) { obj.name = styles.item( obj.styleIndex ).name; } }

I'll see if the DXF importer can be adjusted to get the color from entity properties if there are no "BYLAYER" entities and all entities on the layer have the same entity color which seems to be how your DXF is structured.

- Michael
6 Jun   [#571] In reply to [#570]
Hi Michael, thanks a lot for this...will try !
As the import was not getting the result expected e.g. "all black" in styles list
the dxf-export file (from corel) tried to cover both bases. - it was not my intention to also have to colour the layers initially***.
i did it both ways as an experiment to see if it made any import-difference to getting colours on into MOI styles list.

My opinion is:

If the dxf shapes (or entities from corel) was coloured and/or the layer coloured and moi could intelligently pick up would be very flexible.
Or i guess it might need an import tweak with a few options.

** I do think colours by layer is the best approach for larger imports of many dxf entities or doing an import from
a more organised drawing,whereas byentity colour would be the icing on the cake - might be used when there
is less objects to import or less organised drawing.

Food for thought! I'd hesitate a guess MOI DXF importer could cover both bases.

Would you like me to give you any more flavours of dxf export from coreldraw?
I currently have 3 licensed versions X3, X6, X9.

6 Jun   [#572] In reply to [#563]
<< basic macro recorder perhaps with a tree view / step by step interface .

There is a record by / for Elephant! By Nkallen
See bottom page!
https://moiscript.weebly.com/install-elephant.html
6 Jun   [#573] In reply to [#572]
cheers Pilou - well aware of the node editor and will get to it one day soon...
my suggestion for linked commands and macro recorder - was less advanced
and also more minimal... i feel once i start experimenting with node editor which
looks very expansive in its capabilities - wont get much work done ;o)
6 Jun   [#574] In reply to [#573]
If i good remember you have nothing to do...
Just launch the recorder
Make anything you want (classical is more reasonable)
You have the record!
Launch the record! :)
No need to know the Elephant in depth! :)
6 Jun   [#575] In reply to [#574]
i had in mind for node editor to create random surface finishes...
but hey maybe it can do boring stuff as well !

is this (install via github) still valid or easier method on your website ?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsTGCHa-pZk
6 Jun   [#576] In reply to [#571]
Hi stefano,

re: Colors for CorelDraw DXF import

I've updated the DXF importer for the next v5 release so it will bring in colors when importing your TEST_MOI_2LAYER_COLOURED_DXF_X3_ACAD2000.DXF file.

The way it will work is that if all the entities on a layer are using color-by-entity with the same color then it will use that color for the style in MoI instead of the layer color.

> Would you like me to give you any more flavours of dxf export from coreldraw?
> I currently have 3 licensed versions X3, X6, X9.

No thanks I don't think that's necessary.

Thanks, - Michael
6 Jun   [#577] In reply to [#575]
I don't know another method...except these described for the "record" on my site...

For Nomal Install (not the special record) look upper page and scroll following your version...
6 Jun   [#578]
Thanks Michael I think what you’ve done makes sense
and gives two way consistency now >

Coloured a few objects in moi earlier exported as dxf and imported into Corel, the colours worked fine that way.

monseur Pilou je parlez petit francais and maybe it’s a bit easier for me to read…Eitherway Google translate made me a great fan of your website lately, many thanks for that resource !

https://moiscript-weebly-com.translate.goog/?_x_tr_sl=auto&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en-US&_x_tr_pto=wapp

6 Jun   [#579] In reply to [#578]
Super...you will find some free stuffs in any domains! :)

My favorite free for Moi (or any progs) in this 2024 is this one! :)
The 4 first images & animation! Incredible!
https://moiscript.weebly.com/krea.html
17 Jun   [#580]
希望增强N边曲面(NSIDED)目前的NSIDED对一些情况很不理想,例如对 因为修剪、布尔、复杂曲面等原因产生细小的断裂边的情况,通常无法计算或结果错误。merge脚本也无法很好的合并这些边。还有例如图片的情况,产生的面效果不理想。
I hope to enhance N-sided surfaces (NSIDED). Currently, NSIDED is not ideal for some situations, such as situations where small broken edges are generated due to trimming, Boolean, complex surfaces, etc., and it is usually difficult to calculate or the results are incorrect. The merge script also cannot merge these edges well. In addition, as shown in the picture, the resulting surface effect is not ideal.

希望能升级为边界曲面(像ug那样的效果)I hope to upgrade to a boundary surface (with an effect similar to ug)

Image Attachments:
11.jpg  22.jpg 

Show messages:  1-20  …  501-520  521-540  541-560  561-580  581-600  601