MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: V5 Wish List

Show messages:  1-8  …  269-288  289-308  309-328  329-348  349-368  369-388  389-408  …  549-554

20 Dec 2021   [#329]
As far as I can tell, zebra-stripe in CSS refers to a table with alternate colored lines, not surface curvature :-)
20 Dec 2021   [#330] In reply to [#328]
with Polycad, you cannot import trimmed surfaces, and the problem is being able to modify the control vertices directly in Moi, with PolyCAD you cannot do it, and I also have other programs that do this all in all well, with Blender I can import Nurbs surfaces but I can't export them.
20 Dec 2021   [#331] In reply to [#327]
Sorry Michael, but I meant the Zebra stripes ca be implemented via CSS and thought this because I saw many command are with JavaScript and html -- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zebra_striping_(computer_graphics)

I'm sorry to hear it's something complicated, there are a lot of software that have implemented this kind of zebra stripes visualization, and from Wikipedia it seemed like something someone like you could have done simply, Gaussian curvature also seems like there's a lot didactic material. 
I don't use Rhino because I don't use Windows, otherwise I would have renewed my license

https://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.24.3427&rep=rep1&type=pdf

here some screenshot of opensource software with this kind of analysis of surfaces
Thanks anyway I will find other way to do that.

Just to complete my request the zebra stripes could be implemented as a reflection map in Moi3D's lighting system

Greetings
21 Dec 2021   [#332] In reply to [#330]
Have you an example of a "trimmed surface" ? (from Moi)
21 Dec 2021   [#333] In reply to [#332]
Here is the demonstration that it does not support trimmed surfaces, I have tried many times and it does not support any trimmed surfaces.

21 Dec 2021   [#334] In reply to [#324]
Thanks Ed, this script will be very useful to me. Thanks Pilou for the translation.
The little extra would have been to be able to automatically put the object in a perfectly vertical position from the front, or perfectly horizontal from above, in the 3D view, before launching "AutoRotate2" or in the script itself.
21 Dec 2021   [#335] In reply to [#333]
Sorry i am not sure to understand the problem of the trimmed surfaces ? :(
Have you the Moi file ?

In fact i see what do you speak about! :)
I will explore because as you can see there is the trimming curve on the hull!
So must find the trick inside this labyrintical prog :D

Small advance but...:)
Seems it doesn't like intersections of surface!
It's a pity because all is done...

Seems a very powerful program but with an no ergonomic and fluid Interface! :)
And some tenebrous functions to blend between them! :)
24 Dec 2021   [#336]
Hi Michael,

I have a question; is it possible to control the pointiness of a generated mesh using the sweep command?
24 Dec 2021   [#337] In reply to [#336]
Hi Psygorn,

re:
> I have a question; is it possible to control the pointiness of a generated mesh using the sweep command?

Well if you use the "Pointy ends" option in Sweep it will transition from a profile curve to a point at the tip. You can get some control over how long the pointy part will be by putting in additional profile curves.

If you want to control the "side profile" of the point you might be better off generating a straight pointy object using Revolve and then apply it to the curved path using Transform > Deform > Flow rather than using the Sweep command.

If you need more help I may need some kind of sketch or example of what you're trying to do.

- Michael
28 Dec 2021   [#338] In reply to [#337]
Hello Dear Michael,

This is not a V5 wish however, I thought I have to post it here!

Why I cannot Extrude to point the red curves into the green point?

When I try to Extrude the red profile toward the green point it goes on a direction which is not my desired direction.

The final mesh's singularity point is a bit offset.

I hope I described the problem well.

Attachments:
Extrude_to_Point.3dm

28 Dec 2021   [#339] In reply to [#338]
Hi Psygorn,

re:
> This is not a V5 wish however, I thought I have to post it here!

It would be good to start a separate topic for it if it is not related to this thread's subject.

> Why I cannot Extrude to point the red curves into the green point?

You can, there is an "Unlock direction" option you can click if you want to freely place the point somewhere not on the initial default tracking line:

Your point though is on a different z level than the curve, you probably need to position it at the right level before extruding to it.

- Michael

Image Attachments:
psygorn_extrude_to_point.jpg 

Message 10114.340 was deleted

28 Dec 2021   [#341] In reply to [#339]
Thank you Michael,

it is funny but I did not even see the "Unlock Direction" button!

Thank you for guiding me.
31 Dec 2021   [#342]
Hello Michael,

I hope you are doing well, and happy new year in advance.

I just wanted to ask a question -out of curiosity- and others might have asked it before. however, I just thought to ask it here real quick.

Should we expect non-destructive modeling approach in MOI3D?

I know that one way of having non-destructive modeling is to use Nodeeditor (elephant) but I wanted to know if we could expect it inside of MOI3D itself.

Best and happy new year,

Psygorn (Drillbit)
31 Dec 2021   [#343] In reply to [#342]
Hi Psygorn,

re:
> Should we expect non-destructive modeling approach in MOI3D?

I hope that eventually yes MoI would have that but there will be a lot of work to get there and so I don't know when it will happen.

It also has not been a high priority for MoI because there are many other already existing CAD programs that are already heavily focused on it.

If it's an important function for you I would recommend to use one of those CAD programs that are based on it, like SolidWorks, Alibre, OnShape, etc... alongside MoI instead of only MoI all by itself.

- Michael
31 Dec 2021   [#344] In reply to [#343]
Hi Michael,

>I hope that eventually yes MoI would have that but there will be a lot of work to get there and so I don't know when it will happen.

Oh well that is great news.

My question was out of pure curiosity. :-)

Happy new year in advance :-)
4 Feb 2022   [#345]
Hi Michael,

A quick question, could we have PCB circuit design features in MoI?
(I think that would boost up hobbyists capabilities by unimaginable folds! )
4 Feb 2022   [#346] In reply to [#345]
Hi Psygorn,

re:
> A quick question, could we have PCB circuit design features in MoI?

Sorry no I don't expect for MoI to become a tool for that area of work. I don't have any experience in that field.

- Michael
5 Feb 2022   [#347]
Some SUbD native functions ? (we have yet few ones by Max Smirnov and native SUD Import but...

5 Feb 2022   [#348] In reply to [#347]
Hi Pilou, I would like to add some relatively basic SubD tools. That's why there's a SubD tab on the side pane that can hold more stuff.

But I'm not sure when I will be able to focus on that, probably it won't be in v5.

It's not a top priority because there are a variety of sub-d modeling programs out there that you can already use to do that and use the converter to bring it over into MoI.

- Michael

Show messages:  1-8  …  269-288  289-308  309-328  329-348  349-368  369-388  389-408  …  549-554