MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: V5 Wish List

Show messages:  1-16  …  217-236  237-256  257-276  277-296  297-316  317-336  337-356  …  597-601

26 Aug 2021   [#277] In reply to [#276]
Hi Mindset,

re:
> I'd like to see some way to numerically adjust the position of an item.

You can do this currently with the Transform > Move command.

Select the object you want to reposition, then run the Transform > Move command. At the first prompt to pick the base point, pick the point on the object that you want to position numerically. You can click the "Bounding box center" button if you want to position that spot of the object.

Then on the last prompt to pick the target point you can type in the x,y,z coordinates for where you want it to go.

- Michael
26 Aug 2021   [#278]
Thank you Michael for your previous response; spot-on as always.

This is a proposed enhancement for the Scale 2D command.
The situation was such that the target object set needed to be adjusted to match the size of a relative item, which was disposed at some vertical distance. I picked two points on the target set, but when I pick the second reference point from the relative item, the resulting scaling factor seemingly vectored the vertical distance, making it difficult to match the two sets with respect to the 2D (horizontal) plane.

Suggestions?
Should this command form offer an option to ignore non-coplanar coordinates?

Many thanks,
Mindset

PS … I realize now that the first reference point (on the target) was also not coplanar with the base point.
Perhaps all input points should be 2D for this command... ?
26 Aug 2021   [#279] In reply to [#278]
Hi Mindset,

re:
> Suggestions?
> Should this command form offer an option to ignore non-coplanar coordinates?

It should work like that currently if you are picking the points in an ortho viewport like the Top/Front/Right views.

Could you post a .3dm file with the objects you were trying to scale?

- Michael
26 Aug 2021   [#280] In reply to [#279]
I generally think of myself as a reasonable adult, but in this instance I feel like a complete dolt.

Sorry to have taken your time Michael.
As always, you are super helpful.

Cheers,
Mindset
26 Aug 2021   [#281] In reply to [#280]
Hi Mindset, no problem! :) And if you still can't get it to work as you need please let me know.

Also I do want to add an option for projecting points when picking in the 3D viewport as well. But right now if you go to a 2D view that will do it when you pick in there.

- Michael
2 Sep 2021   [#282]
Hi, I would really like to see a baseline "utility" lighting implementation with shadows, not so much for presentation, I found it a really helpful modeling tool to see how the form is working under various lighting, i thought Sketchup did a decent job of this. This is example how i was using sketchup light to arrange the scene to paint over later https://www.artstation.com/artwork/q4dWy
In MOI i would be using this to track the form more than cast shadow in an interior but hopefully it gets the idea across.

Thank you!
9 Sep 2021   [#283] In reply to [#275]
*What is the shortcut script for the CPlane tool? I feel like this sort of thing could be a bit easier...

- Rich
9 Sep 2021   [#284] In reply to [#283]
Hi Rich, use this for a shortcut for setting the CPlane:

script: moi.view.setCPlaneInteractive();

For resetting it use this:

script: moi.view.resetCPlane();

re:
> I feel like this sort of thing could be a bit easier...

Yes, definitely it could be improved. It hasn't been prioritized because it's the kind of thing that you don't go into very often.

I did get the part of setting up the key improved a lot in MoI v4 so that you press the key combo you want instead of typing in the text description of it.

- Michael
9 Sep 2021   [#285] In reply to [#284]
Great thanks Michael....Yeah I think it's not a nightmare pasting in the script or anything, but it would be great to have the script info logged somewhere, not for all commands obviously but at least the first port of call UI buttons? Even a text file would do probably!

- Rich
10 Sep 2021   [#286] In reply to [#285]
HI Rich, there's an attempt at that in the help file Shortcut Keys section:
https://moi3d.com/4.0/docs/moi_command_reference11.htm#shortcutkeys

I happened to miss CPlane there though, I've made a note to update it next pass through docs.

- Michael
10 Sep 2021   [#287] In reply to [#286]
Great...Would it be as simple as next to the 'Add' 'Delete' buttons on the shortcut interface there's a hyperlink to that reference or something? Too messy? I guess the thing is - the jump between being inside the program / finding your way to that info?
10 Sep 2021   [#288]
Michael,

Is there any chance to see this stereographic projection implemented as an option in a future release?

https://moi3d.com/forum/messages.php?webtag=MOI&msg=8976.1&highlight=yes

I think it would be terrific at giving more realistic proportional feedback while designing in MoI. I was sad that this "hack" wasn't workable with the Macintosh version of V.3...

Mark G.
10 Sep 2021   [#289] In reply to [#288]
Hi Mark,

re:
> Is there any chance to see this stereographic projection implemented as an option in a future release?

It's only been very rarely discussed or requested so sorry it's not too likely to be an area that I'll be able to dedicate time to working on.

- Michael
11 Sep 2021   [#290]
Support of the .webp format.
12 Sep 2021   [#291] In reply to [#290]
3dm and Rhinoceros files support groups and blocks this would be a really great feature if implemented in the next Moi3D release
Maybe that was already asked by others but is hard read everything in this long list.
12 Sep 2021   [#292] In reply to [#291]
Hi pafurijaz, both groups and blocks are poorly implemented in Rhino with a lot of problem areas. So even when these are implemented in MoI it's pretty likely that they will be custom implemented for MoI and won't be stored in the .3dm file's regular structure.

With groups the problem is that it's just a kind of tag assigned to objects and groups aren't structured in a parent/child relationship.

With blocks the problem is it's a clone of an antique AutoCAD system that has weird rules about how layers work in combination with the blocks.

It might be that I can shoehorn MoI instances into a compatible system with blocks, I'm not sure about that yet. I'm pretty far along with groups though and I'm pretty sure that groups will not be stored as .3dm groups though since there isn't any way to represent a parent/child nesting with them.

- Michael
13 Sep 2021   [#293] In reply to [#292]
Hi Micheal, thanks for the clarification, I know well how the Blocks for Autocad work, in reality it is very simple, the Autocad blocks have the characteristic that all the objects or lines on layer 0 can receive the characteristics of the layer where they are inserted and all the other levels can be customized with unique colors and properties of the block, however I hope that we can also introduce only a hierarchical level tree with sub-levels that include others already this would be fantastic, even groups could be a valid solution. 
I hope this can be evaluated for the next update because when you have over 2000 objects, it is useful to organize the elements as assemblies such as staircases or other with different colors and materials.

I

Greetings
16 Sep 2021   [#294] In reply to [#292]
Tears of joy over here reading this Micheal, tears of joy I can't wait to see how you implement it
24 Oct 2021   [#295]
if it's possible to add quick edit points mode - holding a button to enter and move points
i'll expain behind the scene: ex chamfer - and move a point, actions will be enter edit mode, select points, move, exit edit mode(show points) -> 4 actions per 1 operation
holding the same button ~ tobe quick move point action
24 Oct 2021   [#296] In reply to [#295]
Hi Tudor,

re:
> i'll expain behind the scene: ex chamfer - and move a point, actions will be enter edit mode, select points,
> move, exit edit mode(show points) -> 4 actions per 1 operation

If you want to move just one point you don't need to select it and then move it in separate steps you can just click and drag on the point.

You can also turn off points by hitting the Esc key instead of clicking on Edit > Show pts.

I experimented with making a script that would turn on points for a single selected object, let you drag a point and then turn off points automatically. I wasn't able to make it for v4 because edit points aren't accessible by scripts but I have added that in for v5 so a script for doing this will be possible in v5.

- Michael

Show messages:  1-16  …  217-236  237-256  257-276  277-296  297-316  317-336  337-356  …  597-601