New Help making a Crown

959.4 In reply to 959.3 
Hi Ed,

> Wow. This tutorial has really sold me on MoI.

I was thinking as I was going through it that it made for a pretty good demo, maybe I will do this as one of the video tutorials. It is kind of a good example of how boolean intersection is useful in some situations, instead of focusing only exclusively on boolean difference. Intersection is a little less intuitive than difference, that's why it is good to have some examples like this on where you might use it - basically where it is easier to model the piece you want to keep in the boolean operation, rather than modeling the piece that you want to remove.

Here is a variation with a more curved inward revolve and also an inner piece cut away using boolean difference. The inner piece was done by making an offset curve from the original club curve:

Now if you're using MoI as a companion to a polygon modeling program, the really really cool part is the quality of polygonization you get when saving this out to an OBJ file:

A lot of the parts feel like a carefully hand-optimized mesh.... It's almost like cheating! :)

> By the way Michael, isn't it time you replace your hand-drawn mascot-logo with a 3D render? :)

Hmmm, I don't know I've gotten kind of fond of that guy the way he is! But it would probably be nice to do a 3D version as well at some point. But he's sort of the type of thing that generally works better in a polygon modeler though, since you kind of want to do little pushing and pulling of points to adjust stuff...

- Michael