V4 beta Oct-10-2019 available now

9526.46 In reply to 9526.34 
Hi OSTexo,

re:
> You got it, "lazy" is the right word for that Align with Dimension behavior.

There seems to be maybe a couple different bugs in linear dimension transformations, I'm investigating it.

> In that case I'd think manual flip/toggle makes sense so as not to add complexity.

I'll give this a try. I also do intend to enable turning on edit points for a dimension and moving the text position wherever you want.

> Could the existing Align tool be extended to not only effect position but also distribution?
> For example, select multiple horizontal dimensions, Align > Distribute would provide for
> spacing between dimension lines in the selected group.

The part that's difficult about this is that would have Align > Distribute processing just the dimension line and not the entire object. I guess that could be possible but it wouldn't be consistent with how Align works currently which is that it works on the bounding box around the entire object.

It seems like it might be good to instead have a "Stacked" option in the dimension command that would handle making those.

> On another dimension note do you see any potential risk for confusion by
> allowing the user to fix scale options in two places?

Do you mean for the display precision like number of decimal points to display? The setting for that in Options > General > "Decimal display" controls the appearance of the UI environment like how numbers in an edit field are displayed. It would be problematic to try and re-use that for the dimension display as well because that would mean that the dimensions in a given file would be formatted differently on what a user had set for their UI preferences.

Thanks,
- Michael