V4 beta Oct-10-2019 available now

9526.41 In reply to 9526.37 
Hi Martin,

re:
> Thanks a lot for the "barb" arrows Michael.

You're welcome! Those do have a nice type of minimalistic appeal.

> With variable dimension text size depending on zoom level how can I
> preview the actual relation of object, arrows and text of a future export
> to AI/PDF format?

Well, the thing is the text size is not variable, it's constant just constant in a different metric that you are used to. It's constant in its display size on your monitor.

So if you use a font of say Tahoma 16pt it shows at 16pt size all the time no matter where you happen to be viewing it from.

The same thing will apply to PDF/AI export (once it is implemented), it will be 16pt text in the PDF page and on your printed result.

The part that is good about this is that for labels you should get a consistent legible text size in your final result without messing with any kind of scale factors. You won't get gigantic text or tiny text if you don't happen to manage the scale factors properly.

The part that is not so good about this is if you care how text specifically relates to the model size, particularly if you have drawn in some lines to make a title block grid out of geometry and you want the text to fit between some model geometry. To handle this kind of situation I want to have an option to switch the text and arrowheads to be based on model units rather than screen display units. That probably won't happen until a future round of work after v4 though, for v4 I wanted to focus on constant display size since for simple drawings it should alleviate various kinds of scaling battles.

> Is it possible to have an option that turns off this zoom behaviour and leaves the text
> in its real size independent of zoom level?

Not currently but I do want to have an option for that in the future. Right now the system is built around constant display size and there isn't any concept yet of "model unit sized" text rather than "display sized" text.

- Michael