V4 beta Oct-10-2019 available now

9526.113 In reply to 9526.104 
Hi mantaskava,

> 1. So I was hearing (and waiting at the same time) for this Dimensions feature for a long time
> expecting it to work like any other "usual" CAD program (SolidWorks, Inventor etc.).

Well they do work like usual 2D CAD programs like AutoCAD for example, for making annotations in 2D drawings.

The types of programs you're talking about do use them differently, those are parametric/constraint driven solid modeling programs and they use dimensions as part of their editing UI.

> Because I feel like I am, since so many people looks to be excited about this feature alot.

It's because it's going to make it a lot easier to generate 2D drawings how they need them.

> But now when it's here I see it's basically just an annotation with current measurement
> between selected points. The way I see it- the only benefit is you don't have to click on
> the edge and watch at right upper corner for the measurements. Or am I missing something?

Their primary purpose is for making annotated 2D drawings. Although you can use them for just making measurements that's not their main purpose, they're more of a communication tool that incorporates measuring in it.

If you never need to produce 2D technical drawings or illustrations then yeah they probably won't be too much use for you.

> 2. I am not fully getting 2nd biggest feature too (dimension details). What's the benefit of it? What
> people and for what exact reason are/will be using it?

Some people will use the solid volume calculation on that new dialog as part of their design process.

For dimensions different industries have different ways for how they like to present the annotations like with different types of arrowheads. So there are quite a few different properties on dimensions that change how they look.

- Michael