Layers sugestion by steph

944.15 In reply to 944.14 
Hi Kevin - actually right now I'm not planning on setting color by layer and instead focusing on assigning color as an object property instead.

The main reason for this is that it enables me to get rid of some limitations of the traditional layer structure such as having an object only belong to just a single layer. I'd like to enable some more flexible types of groupings like making it possible to set up layers/groups and have an object belong to more than one of these layer/group type labels.

If an object's color was set by its layer, it creates problems with that kind of multiple membership, because what if an object was on 2 layers and one layer was colored red, and the other layer was colored blue, what color should the object be then?

By having colors assigned to an object instead of to a layer it can prevent this kind of ambiguity from happening.

I do want to incorporate some of the feel of a "by layer" type system as well though, like if all the objects on a particular group are all of the same color I think I'll try to have a swatch of that color show up for that group's entry in the list of stuff. And I also want to have some way to easily select all objects that are on a particular group so that it will be easy to set them all to the same color.

So I'm thinking of a bit of a hybrid in the way things work, but fundamentally not having the color set at a "by layer" level though.

- Michael