got a problem fill / close an area....

902.4 In reply to 902.3 
Hi Lish - I'd generally suggest using fillets for these areas as well. Instead of stopping your handle exactly at the area to cap, extend it further and have a plane as the cap, then use a fillet to round it.

For example:

For that one I didn't extend your shape, so it is a little shorter than you wanted. I selected your handle as an entire object, then ran Construct / Planar to fill in the planar holes, then selected the end face and did Construct / Fillet, using the Shape : G2 Blend option to get a more organic kind of blend shape there instead of an exact arc/circle shape.

It's generally harder to fill in an area like this with one single smooth surface instead - MoI does not currently have that tangent-preserving type of fill command like is available in SolidWorks, but it is something that I want to add in version 2.0 .

There are other methods you can use now, but they are quite a bit more tricky than using just the fillet like I showed above.

One option is to use Blend - Blend is one of the few tangent/curvature preserving kind of commands currently in MoI. Normally blend is used to make a smooth connecting piece between 2 surfaces, more like this:

However, you can also use it to seal off a hole where the hole is made up of 2 edges like you have in this case. To do this, select the 2 edges and run Blend, you can adjust the slider to control the amount of bulging. Also switch the Continuity: option to Curvature (G2) - that will generate this:

That's got a more fully rounded type shape like you seem to be looking for.

It is also possible to more directly model the rounded shape of the end by constructing a dome type shape at the end, that allows you more exact control over the shape. Here are some ideas for that approach - I drew this curve:

Then I ran Construct / Revolve / Rail revolve, and selected this edge as the rail curve, and drew the revolve axis as shown:

That creates this revolved cap surface:

That gives you a lot of control over the shape of the cap. But the cap meets up to the main handle in a sharp edge - to make that smooth you can either trim the cap back and then do a blend between the 2 edges, or join them together and then try to use a fillet to round out that area.

I hope this gives you some ideas, let me know if you need any more information on any of these techniques.

- Michael