Ai export optimisation

Hi Micheal

Now that MOI is 64bit on the mac I am now using MOI a lot more for exporting 3D model as illustrator linework for technical illustrations. I have some suggestions that would make this process even more beneficial for illustrators such as myself. They may or may not be possible to implement, so I would like to know what you think.

Firstly, and this would make a huge difference. Is there any way to limit an ellipse to the four points on major and minimum axis instead of random scattering. See attached for explanation. Maybe an extra check box "export true circles as ellipse"

Secondly, when selecting to have the silhouette lines as well as standard lines, the export gives double lines, one for each. it would be much better if it was a single line as in the attached. It becomes very problematic when cleaning up the file as you find there are many lines on top of each other.

Thirdly, I notice on large size (dimension not mb) models especially that MOI brings in some of the linework which is obviously hidden. I have upped the mb canvas size to 100mb and 300mb but there is no difference what so ever. Is this feature working? or would i need to go into the gb range for it to work?

Lastly, is it possible to translate MOI layers into illustrator layers or groups on ai export. this would make selection and work much easier.

Please don’t take this as critisism, MOI is working great for me, I can just see where it could be even better :-) Also, I think i was one of the original people who pushed for ai export with thick thin lines in the first place for MOI. This was borne partly out of me having to work with Isodraw and CADprocess from Pro Engineering. Its a great program but its being discontinued (they have much more expensive software they would like to sell me, even CADprocess is around $10K!!) However there are many illustrators out there who do tech illustration but the price tag for CADprocess is just too high.

Although some of the MOI exports look quite fragmented and messy, after some cleanup they are valuable - all the essential lines are there.

I currently work at Pilatus Aircraft where the tech docs dept uses Isodraw, i have suggested that MOI could be in their work flow. This is not intended as a carrot to dangle before your eyes but it does go to show that MOI could indeed fill a gap in the market here. I see MOI as a great illustration tool, as you have designed it, it makes drawing in 3D very easy, and with ai export its even easier. I impress people with the chain script - even the best illustrators balk at the idea of illustrating chains wrapping around pulley wheels ;-) In MOI its easy and I can even export in perspective :-)

Regards Matt