SHELL REBUILD - USING NETWORK CURVES

8643.20 In reply to 8643.19 
Hi AlexPolo,

Of course, it is a trimmed surface. The following is a screenshot inside SolidWorks – simply select the curves and it takes a couple of minutes to complete the design.

I am confused why you need to manipulate the control points – the “regular UV network” you mentioned is actually the control points, and manipulating these control points is time-consuming and boring work. You may never get the good positions for those control points. You should NOT waste your time on them. Instead, you should focus on designing the curves or constraints, i.e., modifying or adding curves or constraints, and let the software generate the smoothest surface from your constraints.

As Michael Gibson already said “it's just not possible to make that shape out of one single untrimmed surface”. Using one single untrimmed surface is a low-end method, and the surface quality will definitely be poor. The UV network generated by XNurbs is much better than yours – there is no sharp turning and they moves smoothly.

I need to remind you again that your curves used for generating XNurbs surf are not good, and have a very negative impact to the surface quality (I did not make any correction to your curves). You need focus on designing the “good” curves or constraints, and let the software generate the smoothest surface from your constraints.

Next week, you should be able to find the complete info, e.g., pricing, from our website.

Could you tell me which software you use to show the control points?

Kevin
Attachments: