WIP section. All about personal works, renderings, WIPs

8525.24 In reply to 8525.23 
Hi STEFAN.

@You : "...Your uploaded model file is not a MoI base .3dm, but a 3DCoat final one..."

Ops...you're right :)

Here's the correct 3dm file : http://take.ms/MMjWh

@You : "...It seems to me that with your fast workflow your are also only interested in very fast model creation..."

Yeah! Actually this is exactly my main goal. That is, producing concept models with a super fast workflow, regardless the poly count.
With my "i7-7700K + Overclocked Gtx 1080 Ti" I can manage very high poly count models with a sufficient ease.
Of course its always better to have less poly count but with the particular workflow I'm practicing (3D-Coat Voxels + PBR Shadres)
good results can be achieved only with High-polycount models.

My intention is to investigate this workflow at least for a few more weeks before make a final decision.

For what I'm testing so far this workflow has a super big advantage for me : getting rig of Retopo-UV phase, and this is more than enough for me right now.

Clearly this workflow, based entirely on 3D-Coat, is good only if you don't need photorealistic renderings.
And for fast concept modelling, the overall quality of the 3D-Coat's built in renderer + PBR Shaders is good enough.
And anyway, you can always jump into Paint Room and apply Smart Materials for a more advanced texturing process.
But I will investigate more in depth this aspect later on.

@You : "...Have you ever considered to save your basemesh in MoI as NGon+quads so that you may try to bevel
(for difficult fillets in MoI) in your poly modeler, or have you already tried to use PaQ'S Houdini round edges method to obtain a much lower poly count..."

I'd really like to investigate also this workflow involving Houdini but right now my free time is very limited so I can focus only one aspect at a time.
Furthermore, as I said before, in order to use 3D-Coat's PBR shader I need high-polycount mesh, otherwise I should get bad rendering results.

Anyway, I hope soon or later to investigate also PaQ's round edges workflow.

For what I want to practicing now, the workflow involving Moi + 3D-Coat is very very good.
Especially for modelling of mechanical/hard surface objects.
In this way I can model very fast with Moi because I can totally get rid of fillet issues,
and with 3D-Coat's voxel system I can easily transform the hard surface model into a more natural looking objects,
using sculpting capabilities of 3D-Coat.

Anyway, it's a very funny workflow. And it's almost all it's thanks to the "Gtx 1080 Ti". A true beast.

Bye!

Marco (mkdm)