ZBrush 4R8 Beta testing Gallery

8471.18 In reply to 8471.12 
Stefan,

Sorry, I disagree. Z's topology remesher is not as good 3D Coats, and theirs isn't all that good, IMO. I believe there will need to be some serious AI work in remeshers before they are able to handle ZB, 3DC and CAD output in an acceptable quad format. My guess is it will be 2-5 years before we start to see acceptable autoretopo tools which need no hand tuning.

Sure, Zbrush is good for extreme character detailing and design and creating the "ultimate dragon scales," but hard surface modeling? Not so much. I can always 'tell' a Zbrush model rendered in KS. It just looks 'doughy.' My 3DC models have the same problem. Even if you disagree, reducing these million plus poly models down to VR level numbers while still baking in the required normal and parallax maps, is still a difficult task currently. It's certainly easier to start from poly cages then use plugins like hardops and meshfusion to create the hyper detail needed/wanted for the final model.

I'm sure you can find Z users who absolutely love the quad tools. But they aren't as sophisticated as what can be done in Modo or for that matter Blender or Lightwave. It's not it's primary function-- as a hard surface cage modeler. To do that you need very sophisticated controls over loops and offsets of loops, polyflow and other nifty tools (like Meshfusion). Heck, I can find just about any appfan for any 3D program who can do great work. Have you seen some of the SketchUp models created by their top users?

Zbrush is the accepted pinnacle of topology modelers. They've just added vector displacement in the recent release and announced as if it's some sort of amazing feature set-- being able to pull 'pseudo voxels' out and about-- just like 3D Coat did years ago. Hurray.

The interface is quite arcane and difficult to learn, even more than Blender IMO. I'm no fan and have regular discussions with others on WHY they believe it has to be part of a workflow for hard surface modeling. Nothing yet compelling for me.