turning off preselection highlighting

Hello Michael ! Well, you can be sure I'll be eagerly waiting :)

On a side note I've been trying to reproduce the preselection highlighting inconsistency mentioned earlier. I remember it happening in face mode but somehow I haven't yet managed to reproduce that (and maybe my inability to do so could be related to the fact that I use direct filters for edges/faces/objects as opposed to the default "hybrid" multiselection mode). However, I am able to reproduce the issue consistently in object mode. See this clip :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CB51iNfokps&feature=youtu.be

What this clip is trying to show is that there is some sort of a deadzone behavior (around 5 to 10 pixels or so) going on in object mode in this instance , within which the program is not picking up the correct object to highlight under the cursor. However the expected object (that is to say, the one under the active sharp tip of the cursor) does get selected upon click. There seems to be no such deadzone in face mode, as faces get highlighted precisely under the cursor tip consistently with the later performed selection click.

Now of course at the end of the day this doesn't really bother me (since, of course, I am not paying much attention to the highlighting in the first place hehe) but it looks like there is definitely a "false negative" going on here and it can be mildly annoying at times when working fast, as it introduces a split second of doubt, so to speak.

- - - - -

Also, while on the broad topic of selection : I think it would be nice if the app could search/raycast for edges from a much bigger distance. Blender is excellent in that regard, casting the search from very far away with very consistent results and that makes edge selection extremely fast (as the user task is not "I need to click close to this edge to select it", but instead it becomes "I need to click somewhere on screen that is closer to this edge that the other edge, but it doesn't have to be right next to it").

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBvPKFbDIQY&feature=youtu.be

Very interesting stuff imho ... but probably another topic altogether. And of course this is a very unique case anyways as I believe Blender is the only 3d program out there doing such intricate/complex/delicate component detection. It sure feels like a world of difference though !

I hope this makes sense !

EDITED: 28 Nov 2019 by PIOR_O