turning off preselection highlighting

Hi again Michael ! Thank you so much for the follow-up, this is truly outstanding support.

I'll definitely do my best to recreate that one "tiny face" selection issue. I can't recall if it was in v3 or v4beta though, but I'll dig it up.

And thanks a *ton* for these shortcuts, this is exactly the kind of stuff I was looking for. I understand that it may sound like an attempt at recreating polygon modeling habits, but it really isn't - I am quite familiar with the differences between CAD and polygon modeling, and what I am struggling with here is not so much the MOI toolset but rather the noticeable barrier to "flow state" induced by the program being very click-dependant ... by default, that is !

To give you an idea here are the shortcuts I've been using, based on the ones you provided above but with a few more things added (deselection of whatever was selected before, and also grouping some object types together) :

Edge mode :
script: moi.geometryDatabase.deselectAll(); moi.selection.clearSelectionFilters(); moi.selection.setFilter( 'Types', 'Edges', true );

Face mode :
script: moi.geometryDatabase.deselectAll(); moi.selection.clearSelectionFilters(); moi.selection.setFilter( 'Types', 'Faces', true ) ;

Solids + Surfaces + Curves mode :
script: moi.geometryDatabase.deselectAll(); moi.selection.clearSelectionFilters(); moi.selection.setFilter( 'Types', 'Solids', true ); moi.selection.setFilter( 'Types', 'Surfaces', true ); moi.selection.setFilter( 'Types', 'Curves', true );

Deselect all :
script:moi.geometryDatabase.deselectAll();

Using these not only makes me faster but it also largely alleviates the preselection jitter because I am always directly in the mode that I want to be in. That is to say : even if I miss an edge click, I never end up in face mode meaning that the faces never blink in and out. It makes for a significantly more pleasant experience !