A Linux Question

8423.2 In reply to 8423.1 
Hi Sebastian, MoI V2 can work on WINE but requires some changes to the WINE environment using Winetricks since MoI V2 was based off the Internet Explorer HTML engine for its UI. MoI V3 has a lot of improvements in this area, V3 no longer has a dependency on the IE engine and instead uses a bundled WebKit engine instead, so V3 runs on WINE right "out of the box" with no other setup needed, although with certain video drivers there can be an additional manual change required if the video driver has a particular text alpha blending bug (http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=4409.103).

So I would not recommend running MoI V2 on WINE, if you want to run on WINE I'd strongly recommend using MoI V3 instead. V3 is aware of the WINE environment and I've actually tested it and worked on making it run there unlike V2.

re:
> 1) Have your tested it on other distros like OpenSUSE and Fedora? Preferably recently...

Sorry no I have not tested it on those particular distros myself, but I see here a report from a user who was running V3 on OpenSUSE: https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=24912

re:
> 2) The new Moi V4 x64... will it run on Linux?

Do you mean with WINE 64-bit on Linux? I haven't tested it yet so I don't know for sure but I do not know of any reason yet why it shouldn't. V4 has even fewer system dependencies than V3, for example it doesn't use gdiplus.dll or oleaut32.dll functions anymore. The one unknown is that V4 will probably be using Direct3D11 instead of Direct3D9 which V3 used for the viewport display, and I don't know yet how robust Direct3D11 support is in Wine yet. The viewport display engine is the last remaining area of work before the first v4 beta release, I'll be starting to work on it within the next couple of days actually. But MoI does not use any particularly esoteric video card functions so it would be kind of surprising to see problems in this area. There is still some potential for it though.

I won't have any specific information on V4 support for WINE 64-bit on Linux until a bit further into the V4 beta release period.

- Michael