Tech info needed before switch to a new computer

8406.13 In reply to 8406.12 
Hey Marco,
""""""""""you're saying that a Quadro workstation must have a XEON processor""""""""""

No. But no need to put a V8 into a Datsun 300Z......

""""""""""and that i7 (Kaby Lake) is not a good choice.""""""""""""

I7's are very powerful processors. Nothing wrong with them.

What I'm saying is the 2 sets go together. Opposites kindof cancel out the reason for choosing the More expensive, or the less expensive one...

What I'm saying is, if you don't build a "real workstation", which is basically xeon/quadro/ECC based (Very expensive), then trying to mix any of those components into the other hardware, is wasted money.

"MOST" applications wont really care what Card you are running. Rhino wont be any better on a GTX Titan, or a Quadro 6000...

The "Better" comes in 2 places.

An app that was written to take advantage of 1 architecture over the other. Lumion is an example. There programming specifically targets GTX card capabilities. (I think 3dcoat does this too)

The other area is "massive computation/background services". xeon/quadro,ecc hands down.

I think most of the fancy new "real time render" etc, falls into the GTX category....

Again my opinion was:

1. Power and stability = xeon/quadro mix
2. Lightning fast = i7 GTX mix

3. gtx and xeon, or quadro and i7 = bad mix...

And off course, the only one of those that have anything to do with MoI, in my opinion, will be the workstation class xeon and ECC Ram. It will crunch until the cows come home.

""""""""""""""The problem is that I don't know how these software will run on a NON-Quadro card like GTX 1080 : Photoshop CC, Rhino 3D, Thea Render and Octane, Moi, Fusion 360."""""""""""""""""""""

The only one of those that would care, would be Fusion. The CNC calcs.... FEA.... etc. But it WOULD run fine on a gtx also.

I mean.... "What do you plan to do with Fusion?" Multi million dollar plastic injection molds? or just some modeling....